Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Place & Ground Bug Still Not Fixed?

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
tdswanson
1576 Views, 24 Replies

Place & Ground Bug Still Not Fixed?

Hey everyone:

There's another post out there about this issue I think, but the check box in the application settings (assembly tab) that says "place and ground first component" doesn't stay enabled.  Seems like this issue has been out there for a long time, and going back to recheck it several times each week has grown tiresome.

Does anyone have a macro or some iLogic code to band-aid this?  Is there a fix for this scheduled?

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
blair
in reply to: tdswanson

The other issue posted was with using the Copy function to place the first component.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 25
tdswanson

Hmm. I must have missed that. Well, to clarify, my issue is that I have to go to >>Application Settings>>Assembly and check "Place and Ground First Component at Origin" often. Like every other day at minimum. I could be wrong about this, but I think this came up in v2013 and has been there ever since.

Thx
Message 4 of 25
4donwan4

I started up 2014 Inventor and then the initial setting was unchecked in the Application Options>Assembly tab. I checked it, applied the settings. Closed Inventor and restarted Inventor then went back into the Application options after starting a new assembly file and the setting was checked for me. Not sure whats occurring on your station.

Regards,

Don

Message 5 of 25
MikahB

I have exactly the same issue. It's a bit annoying.
Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 6 of 25
tdswanson
in reply to: 4donwan4

Don - Thanks for looking into this.  I've been unable to identify what the trigger is to change the setting.  I can apply this setting and it will work fine, for some amount of time.  At some point later, I'll start a new assembly file and the first component will not be grounded.  I'll go to the settings tab and the box will then be unchecked.

But unfortunately, I've been unable to see a pattern of WHEN or WHY that setting gets changed.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 25

@tdswanson wrote:

But unfortunately, I've been unable to see a pattern of WHEN or WHY that setting gets changed.

Hi tdswanson,

Would the setting reverting back happen to coincide with a crash? In the past I've known some Application Options to reset when Inventor experiences an unexpected shut down. Maybe just something to keep an eye out for going forward to see if there is a connection to crashing.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 8 of 25

I've wondered about that, but honestly, Inventor is pretty stable.  Totally guessing here, but I probably only get a crash maybe every other week and it seems like I have to reset this setting every other day.

I'll be watching for it more closely now....

Message 9 of 25
MikahB

I'm positive that's not the issue on my end. I rarely have an Inventor crash but this problem is consistently there.
Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 10 of 25
Ryan.Martinez
in reply to: MikahB

I've noticed while using a network seat of inventor, if the license server goes down or gets rebooted your app. options will reset to default.
P.D.S. 2015
P.D.S. 2016
Message 11 of 25
tdswanson
in reply to: Ryan.Martinez

That's an interesting twist.  I normally operate a single stand-alone seat at my desk.  But we do have a few installations that use a single-user network license as well.

Message 12 of 25
Ryan.Martinez

Yeah has not happened to me since I moved to stand alone. Still happens to my coworkers on network licenses though.
P.D.S. 2015
P.D.S. 2016
Message 13 of 25
MikahB

My license is and always has been stand-alone, so definitely not a network-license only issue.  I'll start trying to figure out how to reproduce it here.

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 14 of 25
BeKirra

I have experienced the same issue occasionally (these also happened in previous versions).

In most of the time there were no crashes when it happened.

I also noticed that I had some big iam files opened or had some other big programs running at the time.

The option to the users end may be that create an "ApplicationOptions" setting backup by export it in "Options".

So you can import this backup when something happens unexceptionally.

HTH

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 15 of 25
Kent.Wold
in reply to: BeKirra

I am getting the same error. At first I thought it was when we were making changes in Vault in the background but that does not seem to be it now. Some days I don't have to check the box and others I do. Most of the time it lasts all day and I have not noticed that crashes affect the issue.
Has there been a bug fix?

Message 16 of 25
exSWX
in reply to: Kent.Wold

looks like the problem STILL exists in 2015 Smiley Sad

Autodesk Inventor 2021
Intel Xeon W3520 @ 2.67GHz
Win 10 Pro
6.7 System Rating
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Message 17 of 25
AlexeyN
in reply to: exSWX

And in 2016 too!

I have the same bug in all versions from 2014 to 2016. And it is NOT linked with Inventor crashes. I've checked it right now (killed the task in task manager).

It is very annoying!

Message 18 of 25
Kent.Wold
in reply to: AlexeyN

I have had this issue for a long time now and it hasn't gone away. 

I have learned to work it around by right clicking when placing the first piece and selecting "Place Grounded at Origin" which accomplishes the same thing. Just more mouse clicks....

Message 19 of 25
AlexeyN

Thanks a lot for this workaround)) will use it too
Message 20 of 25
Kent.Wold
in reply to: AlexeyN

Thank you for the kudos it has been helpful for me for sure!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report