Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Place a hole referenced from a plane instead of an edge.

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
conbuc
1379 Views, 4 Replies

Place a hole referenced from a plane instead of an edge.

I would like to use the hole command to place a hole in a part. When I place the hole it won't allow me to use one of the origin planes to locate the hole from. Can I only locate holes off edges?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: conbuc

Hi conbuc,

If you create a sketch on the plane and insert a sketch point, you can then create the hole from the sketch point using the hole tool.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 5

This is the only workflow I use for holes. I never liked using the hole command's dialog for defining the hole position in Inventor or SolidWorks.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 5
SBix26
in reply to: mrattray

@mrattray wrote:

This is the only workflow I use for holes. I never liked using the hole command's dialog for defining the hole position in Inventor or SolidWorks.

I agree, with a couple of exceptions-- creating a sketch for a hole concentric to another circular feature is way more work and no improvement over using the Concentric placement option.  And once in a while, the Point option also saves a lot of work.

Message 5 of 5
conbuc
in reply to: SBix26

Thank you all for the responses. I will use sketches to place or locate my holes.

It does suprise me however that Inventor would not allow the hole to be referenced off of edges AND/OR planes. Inventor already knows where the planes are and in many cases I want the holes to stay put based on the center of the part, not off one edge.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report