Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical properties of Ti-6Al-4V are incorrect in Autodesk Material Library 2013

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
hleeatsurf
1442 Views, 15 Replies

Physical properties of Ti-6Al-4V are incorrect in Autodesk Material Library 2013

As stated in the topic, I found all these values to be incorrect; they are far off from the correct values. There is another minor problem I have with the terminology used in the strength section, strictly speaking, the "Tensile Strength" should really be called "Ultimate Tensile Strength".

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
hleeatsurf
in reply to: hleeatsurf

Ths is Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013 Ultimate Edition

Message 3 of 16
henderh

Hi hleeatsurf,

About the minor issue mentioned, this issue has been entered in our tracking database as ID 1453137.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!  I've added another comment so that we know the issue is identified by our users.

Best regards, -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 4 of 16
henderh
in reply to: henderh

About the actual physical values being off from expected values is logged as 1468285.

Hugh Henderson
Message 5 of 16
synapse709

Has this problem been fixed with any updates to inventor 2013 as of yet? I am having this same issue now and REALLY would like to not load the model in another software just to check its correct weight! 

Message 6 of 16
JDMather
in reply to: synapse709

If you find a material property is incorrect - you should be able to create your own.  Not sure why you would need to go to another software?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 16
synapse709
in reply to: JDMather

Yes, I now have the specs of the material and am making my own, but the simple fact is that I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO. It's an industry standard software that somehow has a wrong material spec sheet? Great, until that data is really crucial and someone doesn't even realize it's wrong. Why Autodesk added it (AND STILL HASN'T UPDATED IT) is beyond me. I wasted 2 hours trying to figure out what the problem was before realizing that the material properties may be the culprit.

Do you accept such blatent errors so easily?

Message 8 of 16
mcgyvr

@synapse709 wrote:

Yes, I now have the specs of the material and am making my own, but the simple fact is that I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO. It's an industry standard software that somehow has a wrong material spec sheet? Great, until that data is really crucial and someone doesn't even realize it's wrong. Why Autodesk added it (AND STILL HASN'T UPDATED IT) is beyond me. I wasted 2 hours trying to figure out what the problem was before realizing that the material properties may be the culprit.

You are right.. But we just know better.. Autodesk takes FOREVER to fix anything (if they do at all) so we all learn to point out the problems then correct them ourselves instead of wasting energy complaining about it.. 

Don't hold your breath with anything from Autodesk.. You will turn blue and die 5000 times over. 

Its a shame yes.. But its life. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 9 of 16
synapse709
in reply to: mcgyvr

HAHA

Your reply made me laugh. Well, I suppose you are right on that, although I am surprised with all the marketing hype and product comparisons they do that they wouldn't fix such an easy issue. I mean, would it really take more than 5 minutes to fix? More than that, I am curious what other materials are incorrect...

Cheers,

TT

Message 10 of 16
JDMather

@synapse709 wrote:

I wasn't commenting on the error, I was commenting on your "solution".  Seemed like a lot more work (and possible expense) than a solution of simply defining your own material properties to suite your needs.

Continue to make plenty of noise about the errors when you find them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 11 of 16
synapse709

Ok, I finally made the material so that others don't have to. You can download the custom material library from my dropbox link below. I took the specs from Solidworks because converting units from http://asm.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=MTP641 just seemed impossible and I was afraid I would make an error.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/96pz8t50n2bc5da/hNRSzXCjb0

I hope anyone who needs this material is able to update their library from this and does not assume that Inventor's data is correct.

Cheers,

Message 12 of 16
henderh

We've corrected the material propertiy values in R2014 to be consistent with Autodesk Simulation Mechanical.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

Best regards, -Hugh

Ti-6Al-4V_R2014.png

Hugh Henderson
Message 13 of 16
dgorsman

Thanks for the update Hugh.  In light of this correction, it might be an idea for your QA/QC folks to do a random check on ~ 10% of the other materials.  If any of those are also incorrect then its time to send them all back for a full check.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 14 of 16
synapse709

I just checked the material properties of Inventor 2014 for Ti-6AI-4V, and they are different than the properties I took from Solidworks to make the new corrected material. (image attached). What is even funnier is the material properties I see in Inventor 2014 are different than those of the image you posted. Perhaps I have leftover materials from Inventor 2013, but the ones I see are closer to Solidwork's than the image posted above.

Solidworks or Inventor, one is wrong. I would hate to see Autodesk get it wrong twice in a row...

Message 15 of 16
henderh

Hi Synapse701,

I'm not sure that either ADSK or SW values are "wrong".  I believe that for a fair number of materials there is an allowable range, especially when the material is not specified to the type of heat treatment or grade.  For an extreme example "alloy steel" has many variants in real-life and it seems to be the case with this titanium alloy as well.

I searched on MatWeb for "ti-6al-4v" and received 27 material results (image attached).  The one I believe we are closely matched to is Titanium Ti-6Al-4V (Grade 5), Annealed.

The point I'm trying to make is that the material properites supplied with the product should be within the acceptable range to achieve accurate and realistic results.  If the material properties are grossly inaccurate (as it was previously in this case) then there cause for concern.

Warm regards, -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
Message 16 of 16
strumbeatpete

Hi JD or any others still on this thread. 

Would inventor be able to calculate the force shown below on a "cut type spring" design like the below 

Using Grade 5 Ti , clearly the cut lengths / number of cuts would effect the Nm amount. 

looking at the below out of 3mm plate and looking for 50Nm force ( only in one plane / direction ) 

I have drawn this in dxf  ( dont have Inventor ) 

your thoughts would be appreciated. 

Have a great weekend !

Kind regards,

Pete from South Africa 

Spring idea 50NM.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report