Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical properties notation

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Bpom
1109 Views, 6 Replies

Physical properties notation

I have some issues with the notation for physical properties in the Inventor 2013 material editor.

Instead of displaying the obvious first choice metric SI notation kg/m^3 or something similar it display a self made? and awkward N*s^2/mm^4. I don't want this notation. How can I change to something more user friendly? It can be a bit hard to distinguish if a material have 0.00000000001 N*s^2/mm^4 or 0.0000000001 N*s^2/mm^4.

The document properties "units" folder have mm, seconds, degree and kilogram as default. 

Running Inventor suite SP1.1 on 64bit vista.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: Bpom

Down at the bottom left of the material or appearance browser/editor there is an option to set the units of display for physical properties. The units of display for materials/appearances are now unrelated to your document settings.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 7
Bpom
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

Thanks, that did do the trick  🙂

Message 4 of 7
tommy-z
in reply to: Bpom

Anyone who knows how to get the previous Materials Editor back?

Tried, unsuccessfully, to add a new material.

The functionality of the new and 'improved' materials handling is totally beyond me, I simply do not get it 😞

Message 5 of 7
tommy-z
in reply to: tommy-z

And, the button (or whatever it's called) which Chris Mitchell speaks about, allowing change of the units of the Materials Editor, does not appear to be part of my installation.

Message 6 of 7
LT.Rusty
in reply to: tommy-z

It's in a REALLY counterintuitive location.  It's on the material browser window, not the material editor.  Click the pulldown that looks like a little gear, then you'll find what you're looking for.

material editor.JPG

Rusty

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
tommy-z
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Thanks, I found it, in the - like you said - counterintuitive location.

The whole new materials thing is extremely counterintuitive, I find.

Another 'funny' observation: When entering the density of an insulation material, which is: 80 kg/m³ the wonderful application 'corrects' that to: 8,000E+01 kg/m³!?

Talk about counterintuitive 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report