Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical/Mass Properties Issue

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
melanie2012
1345 Views, 7 Replies

Physical/Mass Properties Issue

Using Inventor 2012 SP2

I have a simple assembly comprised of 3 parts.  A skeletal model with 2 solids (BOM structure is set to Reference) and two derived parts (relating back to one of each of the solids in the skeleton).  The derived parts have BOM structure set to Normal.  One of the derived parts is an angle and the other is a plate.  This assembly ships as two loose pieces that get welded, maybe even bolted, depending on the application, in place in the field to form a channel to hold additional assemblies in place.  This is pretty straight forward.   I have an input form on the assembly.  I can adjust lengths, add holes if anchor bolts are needed and so forth.  I have all these parameters being driven down to the skeleton with iLogic.

I have Representations...Level of Detail to a custom "iLogic" LOD.

The above works great!  My problem is the Physical iProperties: Mass, Area and Volume.  As I configure the part, the Mass properties update correctly in the skeleton, but the derived parts never change.  I can force a Rebuild, Manage -> Rebuild All which “clears” the memory and then allows me to Update Mass on the Physical iProperties tab or Manage -> Update Mass, but it always gives me the same result.  I might put in a length of 24 inches one time and 120 inches the next.  That’s five times longer and should be a noticeable change.  Again, the skeleton updates, but not the parts.

To further muddy the water.  I can place the angle in “flat pattern edit mode” and check the mass properties and the combined weight of the two derived parts are just a fraction off from that of the skeleton.  Which seems consistent with everything I have read on the web as Flat Pattern mass and Bent part mass may not line up exactly.

Am I missing something?  Is this normal behavior for a derived part or is this a “bug”?  Is there an option that I have not checked maybe in Tools-> Application Options that will clear this up?

Through the use of iLogic, I was able to run some rules that would update the parts mass while in “flat Pattern edit mode” to get the mass “to within an acceptable” tolerance on the drawings, but we also have an assembly drawing showing what the pieces look like welded up and I can’t get the mass correct there and when I update the assembly mass it undoes the temporary solution I put in place to update the parts mass (explained above).  I could extract the mass from the skeleton and override the mass for the assembly, but you shouldn't’t have to jump through hoops for something that should be automatic.

Anyone have suggestions?

Mel

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
petrxn
in reply to: melanie2012

Hello,

we have time to time nearly the same troubles with version 2012 and also with 2013.Try to change material (to something with totally different density). 

Petr

Message 3 of 8
Daeral
in reply to: melanie2012

Same problem here. Almost as if you have described my situation.

I have also noticed one thing: when I suppress link to the base component, the derived part seems to "think on it's own" and calculates the aforementioned iProperties (or simply updates the volume, just before suppressing the link). Still, it doesn't seem like it should work this way. I am preparing a configurable model for a frequently used part, so it should be as "clean" as possible, without some gloomy workarounds.

If someone knows the origin of this error, or knows how to fix it - please give a hint.

Marcin

Message 4 of 8

Hi,

Anything known about what is causing the issue?
Or better is there any solution in the next released?
Any comment is very much appreciated.

Regards.

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 5 of 8

Hi! If I recalled correctly, the behavior was due to corrupted Material styles. We saw some cases like that on Inventor 2013. There were fixes applied and after that, we don't hear similar cases. What Inventor release are you on?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 8

Dear mr. Johnson Shiue,

As I know we have all Service pack's installed for the 2012 inventor software.

As I also know this version of inventor is not supported anymore from autodesk, but maybe you can explain the steps we need to take to test if the material corruption is the problem we have. Maybe we can solve this and report it as solved here in the organization than afterwards.

Could you please further explain what we need to dot to prevent this is the 2018 version of inventor.

Thank you in advance.

Braden Europe

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 7 of 8

Hi Braden,

Do you have an example to share the issue? If possible, please send me the \Design Data\ folder and an Inventor file exhibiting the issue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com).

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 8

Hi mr. Johnson Shiue,

I do not directly have a file available.

Are you ok with it if I have one the next days or weeks I will send it to you directly per email.

I have found out that if the derived part is created in "reduce memory mode" the file is showing these error.

After check-marking the option yes to no and updating the file again and bring it back to "use memory mode" check-marked as yes, files are ok also in future.

Are you aware of this behavior?

Regards,

Braden Europe

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report