Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perforated Metal Image adjustment

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mies07
7267 Views, 4 Replies

Perforated Metal Image adjustment

Inventor 2013. First, please give us back the old materials library - most of us have no use for the 3DS Max materials workflow - if I want a custom material for rendering, I will do it in Max/Photosop The new materials/appearnces are way too complicated and confusing.

I have a material that applies an alpha mask to simulate holes for a perforated metal pattern. When I migrated my styles and updated to new appearances, for some reason the image was resized or the mapping was changed, or something. Now my perforated metal holes are 1" in diamter instead of .074. How do I adjust the png file to accomplish this, and how do I publish this new image so it is used instead of the old one?

Any help appreciated. See attached for file currently being used.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jingyi.liu
in reply to: mies07

Hi Mies

Fully undertood your confusing, there were big changes on Material and appearance, and some of us had similar feelings.

Firstly, I would like to suggest you to read Inventor wikihelp on happened changes, have you tried to import your perforated metal style into Inventor 2013?

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/0000-Installa0/0192-Data_Mig192/0193-Data_Mig193...

To customize similar appearance in Inventor 2013 and keep your required hole size, please check your sample size, in your case, please refer below setting, you can make it display correctly.

perforate Metal.PNG

Jingyi Liu

Inventor Product Manager
Message 3 of 5
mies07
in reply to: jingyi.liu

Yes, I have read the wiki help, etc. If you wiI more carefully read my post, I state that I did migrate this from 2012 to 2013.  I have also tried resizing the image in the dialogue box you showed, and tried resampling/resizing in Photoshop. It has no effect - in fact, it causes the mask to disappear altogether if I use any other setting than the one already set. This is a standard map that ships w/ Inventor, and was set as read only, which I changed in order to re-size, but it still doesn't work. It must be some other setting, or is a bug.

Running Inventor 2013, Build 200, SP2. Nvidia Quadro 4000, 24gb ram, Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

Message 4 of 5
graemev

Been there, done that, and chased it around the block.  I finally found the solution a while back:

Edit the material in the appearance dialog (as shown above), but don't bother clicking on the image in the "Generic" dropdown.  Instead, click on teh image in teh "Cutouts" dropdown and change the scale.  Scale it somewhere around 2 inches (keep the aspect ratio linked, if you like) for a fairly middling mesh size and tweak to your heart's content.

Message 5 of 5
jingyi.liu

Hi

Sorry, you should correct the sample image size to 1.00inch X 1.12inch, then you can get the correct hole size (0.074) in default.Capture.PNG

Do you still have Inventor 2012 style librarys? Can you export the style and send it to me ? Then I can test your migration workflow, thanks.

Jingyi Liu

Inventor Product Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report