Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pattern part equal spacing along sketch

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
JoeyG23832
1692 Views, 2 Replies

Pattern part equal spacing along sketch

All, Running Inventor 2012. Working with a large machine, many components. I want to pattern a small part around multiple curved surfaces (Rotating drums) along a flow path thru a machine. Spacing / pitch is the same through the machine but the direction changes are what has me baffled. Patterning in the same plane. What I would like to do is create a sketch along the path and then pattern a WorkPoint along the sketch. After that use the PatternFeature in the main assembly to pattern my part and populate the machine. It seems that this is not possible to pattern a long a line/sketch? I have been able to pattern each drum and belt using the above method and patterning around a part feature. This is very slow and cumbersome and if I could pattern my parts via a sketch it would really help. Sorry can't post files or pics. Joey
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi JoeyG23832,

You should be able to:

• create a sketch path in the part file
  • create a sketch point on the path
  • then create a workpoint on the sketch point
  • then use the Rectangular Pattern tool to pattern the workpoint along the sketch path
  • then in the assembly, constrain the first instance of the part to be patterned as needed
  • use the assembly Pattern tool and select the part to be patterned
  • then select the part level pattern of workpoints to use as the FeaturePattern (you might need to select the pattern from the browser)

It sounds like you might have tried this already, if so more detail about what is not working might help.

Also, it might be helpful for you to create a very basic data set to upload or share screen captures with the forum to help troubleshoot, since you can not share your actual work.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 3

Ahh ok I got it to work now. I missed the first point within the sketch so when I added that it worked. Thanks for the help!! Joey G.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report