Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pattern Component for unequal spacing or alternate idea

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
VeronicaSmith5891
2817 Views, 2 Replies

Pattern Component for unequal spacing or alternate idea

Pattern component is great but sometimes I have to pattern the same part several times to different dimensions in the same direction.  For example: I have a part that has to go the left 26', then again at 29" and then again at 37".  Other than manuallly constraining this 3 different times I've had to Pattern Component the first one at 26", then change the 2nd one to Independent.  Then Pattern component that one to the 29" dimension.  Change that 2nd one to Independent and pattern component that one to 37".  It saves a lot of time but if I have to increase the model they are going on I have to start all over.  Is there a command or something that will do this?  I understand that a pattern is equal lenghs so maybe I am looking at the wrong command for what I am needing to do.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hello Veronica,

Yes the pattern functionality is a good tool, however i rarely use it!

Why? Exactly for the reasons you have stated, a parttern consists of equal spacing. I have been "bitten" too  many times in the past, where components that were equally spaced need to change tp a variable spacing (maybe a design change) and you find that your model is now useless.

As you stated you can pattern the component more than once that is one solution. I however would assemble the components manually and use ilogic to control each one (suppressed or unsuppressed)

Inventor 2010 Certified Professional
Message 3 of 3
forbillian
in reply to: swordmaster

SwordMaster/Veronica,

Here is a workaround I came up with to create an unequal pattern spacing method using recatngular pattern & the curve option for spacing. You may find it useful - it helped me get a feature at a prt level which i can use in an upper assembly. If its not clear, the Zig-Zag lines provide an equal length representation between varying spaced points

See attached Jpeg.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report