Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pattern Component - Associated Feature Pattern

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
DeconSmal
2865 Views, 4 Replies

Pattern Component - Associated Feature Pattern

Here is the scenario........

I am creating an assembly with my base part being a weldment. I've added other components that mount to my base part. Now I need to add fasteners to the mating components. I have added my first fastener and now want to pattern the said fastener using the "Pattern Component" and by using the "Feature Pattern Select" option and selecting "Associated Feature Pattern". At this point I have already selected the component that I want to pattern and selected the "Associated Feature Pattern" to select my base pattern. The only problem is that I am unable to select the pattern desired.

A note on how my Weldment was constructed -

The holes were created in the "machining" step of the weldment, not in the individual part before it was placed in the weldment assembly.

If I move the hole feature and its pattern to the individual part and then place it in the weldment assembly, I can then create an "Associated Feature Pattern" in my assembly file.

Why can I NOT create the associated pattern when my hole features are created in the weldment assembly? Or am I missing something?

Regards,

DeconSmal

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
harco
in reply to: DeconSmal

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2012/Help/0073-Autodesk73/0460-Assembli460/0461-Build_as46...

What can I include in assembly patterns?

Component patterns can be:
     Associative to a part feature. If you edit the part or add or remove from the part pattern, a corresponding result occurs automatically in the assembly.

Create associative circular and rectangular patterns by matching features patterned on a part.

I believe it must be a pattern on a part, I don't think you can use assembly feature patterns.

You could use points or axes as part pattern if you don't want holes at that level, these could be used to create the holes later and drive your component pattern.

Message 3 of 5
JoyceZhou
in reply to: harco

Hi, DeconSmal

Thanks for reporting this issue.

Harco is right, this is the function limitation for the Assembly Pattern component-Associated Feature Pattern: only part pattern feature could be selected.

The pattern features in Machining is still one assembly featuer in assembly environment, so it can't be selected.

If you don't like to create part pattern features ahead, there is another workaround you could have a try:

1. In the top assembly, new one part, project one hole center from the top Hole in the Machining.
  2. create workpoint on the center point, then create same pattern(parameter, column, row) as the assembly pattern feature. (if you want part pattern to be associative with assembly pattern feature, you could use iLogic to link parametr)
  3. Then you could use the part's pattern feature as reference to place other parts.

Thanks,

Joyce-Jinghua Zhou

Inventor QA Engineer
Message 4 of 5
DeconSmal
in reply to: harco

thanks for the comments

While I agree that this works at the part level, I don't see why this is not achievable at the weldment level. The idea of a weldment is to take multiple individual pieces and make them one. At that point you then use the "Machining" process to add holes, cuts, etc. that would be done in the machining processes in the shops.

While you have the "Machining" process active, you have the same commands available to you as you would at the part level. ie Sketch, revolve, extrude, hole, pattern(rectangular, circular). But if you pattern a hole in this process, the pattern is ignored when you try to utilize it (the pattern) in an assembly.

So if I have patterned a threaded hole in my weldment, and now in my assembly that contains my weldment and bolts that need to be placed in the threaded holes, i have to place and constrain each bolt to each hole. Rather than placing one bolt and patterning the bolt from the hole pattern created in the weldment.

Message 5 of 5
JoyceZhou
in reply to: DeconSmal

Wish list item #866089 exists for pattern component which is associative to assembly level feature pattern.
Please see also related thread:
http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=700670&tstart=0

http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=717983&tstart=0

Thanks for your post.

Regards,

Joyce-Jinghua Zhou

Inventor QA Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report