Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts not visible in .idw

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
pjpickard
5340 Views, 15 Replies

Parts not visible in .idw

Hi,

IV 2011

I have an assembly I downloaded from the web of a monitor.

When placed in an .idw some of the parts do not show up.

THose same parts when placed in an .idw by themselves show up fine.

Parts not showing up are

PID32_SHIELD_SIMPLE

PID_32_CABLE_COVER_SIMPLE

PID_32_FRAME_SIMPLE

All parts are checked "visible"

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Paul

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
BMiller63
in reply to: pjpickard

Most likely the components imported as surfaces.

To get them to show you can expand the browser in the drawing for the view and find the model and then choose Include Surfaces (or something like that).

FYI, you need to attach the .ipt files and the .iam when attaching an assembly for others to look at.

here are some models (in Inventor 2010 format) that may or may not help also:

Message 3 of 16
pjpickard
in reply to: BMiller63

Sorry I don't get your meaning of:

To get them to show you can expand the browser in the drawing for the view and find the model and then choose Include Surfaces (or something like that).

I am attaching the orig file I am working with

This is driving me crazy, I am now in my 6th hour of trying to get this to work and my deadline has come and gone!!!!

Thanks,

Paul

zipped file to large to attach...

Message 4 of 16
BMiller63

give me a minute and I'll post back a screen shot

Message 5 of 16
BMiller63

If my guess is right and your imported parts came in as surface modles, you can include them in the drawing as shown:

include Surfaces.png

Message 6 of 16
pjpickard

OK,

Am I crazy? THis is nuts!!!

See the attached, where is this item in hte drop down?

Message 7 of 16
BMiller63

@BMiller63 wrote:

If my guess is right and your imported parts came in as surface modles, you can include them in the drawing...

thanks for the screen shot.

you need to do this from the drawing file, not the assembly as you show in your screen shot.

Message 8 of 16
BMiller63

another option (that is probably the better one) is to look a the parts that are coming in as surfaces and fix them so that they are solid.

if you post just those ipt files someone may be able to convert them to solids for you, using the construction environment tools.

tip: drag the End of Part marker to the top of the part file browser to reduce the file size before attaching.

Message 9 of 16
pjpickard

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the Drawing, yeah well DUH, why didn't I think of that???

ipt of one of the files is attached.

I am so thankful to you for this..now I can spend my Sat doing the work I was supposed to do today!

Paul

Message 10 of 16
BMiller63

You're welcome.

just FYI, I can't open the file right now (I'm running Inventor 2010) so hopefully someone else will have a crack at it.

Message 11 of 16
JDMather

The quality of this file is not particularly good -

- it is only a single side surface body (no part thickness)

- it is missing many faces in the surface that is there.

If you don't need to edit the part and don't need mass properties (like weight) there is really no overwhelming need for a solid. I normally like to convert imported geometry into a solid - but from what I can see of your picture this would be an off-the-shelf purchase and no real need for solid.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 12 of 16
pjpickard
in reply to: JDMather

JD,

yes its an off the shelf I only need it for sizing, it is getting built into a unit.

I would like to know how to convert imports to a solid though. I did not have any luck following what I on this forum and in the help. I'm missing some key thing I fear.

Thanks for your help!

Paul

Message 13 of 16
JDMather

@pjpickard wrote:

I would like to know how to convert imports to a solid though.

That particular file is garbage and would take several hours to get a solid. (Mosty thicken - might be faster to use as reference and remodel.  No easy button solution for that file.

More information here http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class&session_id=3056

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 14 of 16
ksmith84

I have tried the tips shown in this topic but with no success. The file was originally an STP file, there are 6 bodies in my ipt and 1 Surface body (which can be repaired but with no effect). The option I get in the IDW says "Include Work Features...", from there Invisible and Visible boxes are checked in various combinations of the two. The model has no effect if simplified from an assembly... Please assist. Thank you.

~¤~
^C^CMoonwalk
Message 15 of 16
mcgyvr
in reply to: ksmith84

So post your iam (including all part files) or post the original step file or just post the Ball Valve part file..

Is the missing portion the single surface body?

And if you press the + next to the "Surface Bodies (1)" then right click on the surface do you get the option to include surfaces..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 16 of 16
jhep5410

THANK YOU

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report