Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts List - Grouping Items - One baloon call out value for different parts.

30 REPLIES 30
Message 1 of 31
Infoseeker
3078 Views, 30 Replies

Parts List - Grouping Items - One baloon call out value for different parts.

How to have two or more items having the same value in a particular column but being different parts

- merged and balooned with one number

- have the quantity column show the sum of the items.

Right now when I go to parts list, group settings, group by first key, pick common value, the balloons will still show different number although they will be grouped and sumed up in quantity column. And the item column will show 1,2,3 for each separate part instead 1 for all 3 with one common value. 

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
Cadmanto
in reply to: Infoseeker

Take a look at my thread and see how much of it applies to what you are needing.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Parts-List-BOM-Configurations/td-p/3381933

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 31
Infoseeker
in reply to: Cadmanto

I briefly looked at your thred but dont see the answer to my issue.

Message 4 of 31
Cadmanto

It looked like you were in a similar boat as I was.  I am thinking like I had to do, edit the bills of material like I showed in my thread and by playing around with the component selection settings (i.e.reference etc) it might give you what you are looking for.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 31
dan_inv09
in reply to: Cadmanto

In Group Settings, What does unchecking the Display Item Numbers (1,2,3) box do?

You could try grouping them in the BOM as well.

Message 6 of 31
Infoseeker
in reply to: dan_inv09

It will leave the parts list field blank but baloons will be still numbered the same way they would be with the field checked.

Message 7 of 31
dan_inv09

What does grouping in the BOM do?

Message 8 of 31
Infoseeker
in reply to: dan_inv09

There is no grouping in BOM. There is an option of "Part Number row Merge Settings" but not an option for a merge using custom iproperties, what would work for me.

Message 9 of 31
Infoseeker

Any way of substituting and merging part numbers instead of showing a whole bunch of them?

Maybe ilogic?

Maybe something along the lines:

If PART NUMBER is this, ballons and item number in parts list is that? could that work?

Message 10 of 31
Infoseeker

It does not look good.

Message 11 of 31
JimSteinmeyer

Considering the number of times Parts List/ BOM/Ballooning problems come up and the number of unsatisfactory results are found.... I WONDER IF ANYONE AT AUTODESK HAS MADE THIS A PRIORITY FOR NEXT YEAR'S UPDATES  HINT...HINT

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
Message 12 of 31
Infoseeker

Anyone knows if ilogic rule withing .idw file would be able to fix the problem?

Message 13 of 31

Hi Infoseeker, 

I think it would be helpful to provide a screen shot of the results you're trying to get. Can you overide the balloon and parts list to create a mock up?

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 14 of 31

I will try to do that but what I want is quite simple.

I want all the numbers you can see in the .jpg I attached to be merged into one number.

I dont want different numbers displayed for substituted parts (in baloons and parts lists) - I want one.

The best thing would be if I could actually drive this number and not depend on the assembly order.

So perfect scenario would be if I was able to call out parts with the same characteristic (iproperty) with the same number (baloon, row in parts list) instead of having them listed as on the screen shot I attached.

Thats why I thought of ilogic, becase it seems it might be simple and quick solution. Each drawing file would have to have a formula ordering it to group all the items in a parts list... Well, substituting takes care of this, the formula would have to merge in parts lists all the parts with the same iproperty and give them a nuber that I want.

Message 15 of 31
Rich.O.3d

i may be looking at this too simply but...

if the PARTNUMBER field is identical, then the parts will be meged in the parts list.

just edit the part number field in all the parts you want meged to be identical.

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 16 of 31
Infoseeker
in reply to: JimSteinmeyer

First of all I am using two custom iproperties as a common value, not PART NUMBER, that was just an example. Also for this columns I use substituting. I wish it was this simple. 

Message 17 of 31
Rich.O.3d

maybe you could reasses your non use of PARTNUMBER as this is the only field i know of that inventor will merge rows on

you could do a code to propogate the PARTNUMBER field with the custom properties you are using

(as soon as 2 parts have some partnumber, they will be merged...as long as its ticked in the rowmerge properties box from  the bom...you can also add exceptions so certain conditions will not merge)

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 18 of 31
Infoseeker
in reply to: Rich.O.3d

If I do it your way, in my Quantity column I will have *Varies* value because this values are different for each part. If I disable Merge I will have some crazy numbers of parts with the same number, I want to have then in one row, with value for Quantity summed up (I use substitute option for that).

I still think the easiest might be to have ilogic rule in .idw file that forces parts list to show one number fof a baloon for all the parts with one particular iproperty but did not have time to figure it out.

Message 19 of 31
LOONYLEN
in reply to: Rich.O.3d

I dont know if you guys figured this out or not, but I'm having a similar dilemma.

I would like to have three different parts, with three different part numbers, shown "as normal" as far as item number, quantity and part number to be different for each row. and one column called assembly grouped together to show one assembly number. Is this possible? Please see the attachment.

Senior Designer/Cad Administrator
Inventor 2012, w/SP2
Vault Collaboration 2012
Dell Precision T3500, Intel Xeon CPU
W3680 @3.33GHz, 16.0 GB of RAM
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro, 64 Bit Edition
Version 2009, w/SP1
Message 20 of 31
dan_inv09
in reply to: LOONYLEN

There wouldn't be any way to automatically get that number in there like that, that I know of.

How may assemblies would you have per drawing?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report