Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts List Column Question

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
SteveFrey
462 Views, 8 Replies

Parts List Column Question

I have my parts list columns set up where I am displaying the lengths of my extrusions (in inches) in one column that I created. I now have a request from one of my vendors that I get the total lengths of most of the extrusions added together in one lump sum, converted to feet (don't ask).

How would I go about creating this? How do I select only some of the lengths?
Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
HP ZBook 17 G6
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9880H CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 80 GB
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Wireless
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pauldoubet
in reply to: SteveFrey

Steve,

I don't have time to give you a detailed answer tonight. Do a search on this forum and the AUGI forum and the MCAD forum. This has been discussed in various levels of detail by myself and others in the past. It also helps to read these detailed posts to see how others have accomplished this task.

Good luck, Paul
Message 3 of 9
SteveFrey

Thanks Paul. I searched around but I must be using the wrong search term because I'm coming up with threads on parts lists, just not on this specific subject. How would this be classified as a term? Cumulative?
Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 4 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! Do you want to total length of all the parts on the BOM table as just one number? Or, you want the total length for each part number?
Thanks!

johnson.shiue@autodesk.com

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 9
pauldoubet

Steve,

One of the simple things you can do on this forum is click on my user name and see the posts I have responded to, then go down the list to find one that is a similar subject to what you are looking for.

Check these links:

http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=737019&tstart=0

http://www.mcadforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10405

The last link should be the most helpful. If you need more specifics please ask.

Good Luck, Paul
Message 6 of 9
SteveFrey

I want to get a total linear length of most of the items in the list. This is done for finishing (chrome plating) purposes. Our plater requested the total length of material we need plated. There are some items in the list that gets priced at a different rate per foot so that is why I am saying "most" of the items.
Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 7 of 9
SteveFrey

Thanks Paul!
Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 8 of 9

I have a twist to this...Once you are able to get the total number of feet and inches required, how can you estimate how many standard lengths are needed. For example, if you have a frame that requires 16' of material (5' x 3') and your stock length is 20', you will have 4' left over which can be applied towards another frame, leaving 1' as scrap. One formula would be to add up all the pieces, and calculate the total number of standard cut lengths at a 5% scrap ratio (1/20). But what if there are several different sizes of frames? Whew!
Paul, you seem to grasp this very well. Can you send me an email offline at automation4design@gmail.com?
Message 9 of 9
msklein

There was a couple of similar questions a couple of months back by some guys who do furniture or wood of some sort. I kind of remember that a routine was come up for it. Try doing a search for wood say last 90days or so.
msk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report