Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Measure gets planes

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
fgarcia90
1395 Views, 23 Replies

Part Measure gets planes

I've created Costum properties, parameters, to get the outside measure of the parts and it works fine until we create and leave activated a work plane outside the part so it measures not until the end of the part but until the plane.

Any clues how to only measure the part itself?

TIA

FG

23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24
jtylerbc
in reply to: swhite

Actually, no.  I was concerned about that at first too, but in fact it seems to work BETTER for that purpose.

My version of the code does not actually affect the visibility settings of the individual work features - it just uses the global visibility to turn them all off.  When the second part of the code runs, you would think it would indiscriminately turn all the planes back on.

However, that isn't what it actually does.  Instead, turning the Object Visibility back on just lets the individual feature visibility settings take back over.  So, essentially it resets them to the way you had it set before running the code, without the need to store the previous settings in an array.

You can test it out for yourself pretty easily.  Make a part with two work planes.  Turn the visibility for one of them off.  Then go to the View tab, and uncheck Object Visibility for work planes.  Both planes will be gone.  Go back to Object Visibility and turn it back on - only the previously visible plane will reappear.

Message 22 of 24

Hi jtylerbc,

Thanks for posting the example code. Indeed that looks like a much more simple code solution.

The only thing I can think of that might be an issue would the work plane visibility at the assembly level, since the View tab method is a display override of the right click Visibility setting it often creates frustration at the assembly level when those planes that are turned off at the part level using the View tab method, show back up at the assembly level. But if that is not a concern,  then I see no reason your example would not work just as well or better.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 23 of 24
swhite
in reply to: jtylerbc

That's good to know, thanks for the update.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 24 of 24

Curtis,

I don't think that's going to be a problem, at least the way we're using this.  Our rule turns the object visibility off at the part level, but then turns it right back on after the measurement is taken.  I haven't seen it behave visually any differently than your previous version of the rule did.

If it has any problems like what you're describing, it would only occur for someone doing something that is abnormal for us anyway.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report