Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Critique

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
roger
564 Views, 13 Replies

Part Critique

Hi,

I'm new to Inventor, and trying to work on my modelling style. This is my 3rd attempt at this part. The first try, I drew the whole profile in the first sketch, as if I was drafting in AutoCAD. It drove me nuts. I couldn't do even simple things I was used to doing in AutoCAD. With this try, I am trying to adapt more to the Inventor modelling flow. It gets kind of complicated, and this is a very simple part! I included the part file for comment if anyone has the time. There is probably a much easier set of steps. Thanks!

Roger

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
BeKirra
in reply to: roger

It looks pretty good to me as you just start to use inventor.

Couple of small things:

1) You can create "Tube Grip Extrusion", "Cable Grip Extrusion", "Cable Loop Cut Extrusion", "45_Degree Cut Extrusion" and "ID Cut Extrusion" with a single extrusion, a single sketch.

2) You can select edges on different planes so you can do all fillets in "fillet7", in other words "fillet8" is not necessary.

3) You can mirror "Work Plane1" as "Work Plane2" - so you don't need to create the 2nd plane manually.

4) And you don't have to rename the extrusions and sketches.

Congratulations!

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 3 of 14
JoAnn_Hogan

Hi Roger,

First of all, well done, that looks really good.

Here is another way of thinking of you want to have a look at it. You didnt do anything wrong, this was just how I would have created it. Please see attachment.

Then a few tips:

You do not have to rename extrusions and sketches. Only place where I would rename is planes, to see where I have used them.

You are doing 4 features where you could have done one. Dont make it too complicated. Think simple about it.

You could have created 1 Fillet instead of 3.

But have a look at my part, maybe you see something you like

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 4 of 14
JDMather

Something like this?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
klapec

You do not need sketch3.

Message 6 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: klapec

Good catch - that means the extra workplane is not needed either.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 14
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi roger,

I had a quick look at your part, and I agree with everyone else: you've done a very nice job. I think every experienced Inventor user will tell you that if you look back at parts you modeled when you started, later on, you'll see how much you've learned and progressed in a short time. And asking for this kind of feed back, and seeing how others would approach the same part is a very good way to learn.

With that in mind here's my attempt. I didn't follow the dimensions, but just the "spirit" of the part. I did borrow your 45 degree cut idea. I wouldn't have thought to do it that way but I liked it. I didn't take the time to look at the other replies, but I suspect you'll see some similarities and some differences in everyones's approach.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 8 of 14
MikahB

One more option.  I see symmetry here!

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 9 of 14
roger
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

Hi JoAnn, Thanks so much for taking the time to reply!

Did you use "TRIM" in sketch 1? I was having a hard time getting that to work. I use it all the time in AutoCAD, but in my attempt here, I kept getting an error message. The Mirror of the emboss save a lot of duplicate steps! Is there a way to flip the text?

Thanks again,

Roger

Message 10 of 14
roger
in reply to: JDMather

The use of the shell here is very nice. I have not tried this yet! You must be able to pick which lines to shell, since the bottom part of the circle did not form a shell.

Thanks so much for the response! I will have to spend more time studying it!

Roger

Message 11 of 14
roger
in reply to: klapec

Neat use of Circular pattern!

Thanks for the response. I am going to spend some more time trying to follow your construction method.

Thanks!

Roger

Message 12 of 14
roger
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Thanks Curtis!

Your approach was a little different. Sketch 1 was a little more general but then refined very quickly. You used the shell command and the circular feature as others. I am going to take some time to try to follow your construction methods here.

Thanks so much for the response!

Roger

Message 13 of 14
roger
in reply to: MikahB

Hi Mikah,

Thanks so much for the response! Your a pproach was a little different with the full part mirror. I see there are a lot of functions in the dimensions. I like that idea a lot. I will have to take some more time to try to understand what you have done here.

Thanks again!

Roger

Message 14 of 14
roger

Hi,

I wanted to thank you all for your responses. I know that took time and everyone's time is valuable. I want to work through each of the alternatives now to better understand how they were modelled.

This is an amazing group!

Thanks again,

Roger

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report