Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parametric modeling query!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
anthonyjamesmurphy
315 Views, 3 Replies

Parametric modeling query!

I recently saw a steel structures model of a jacket for oil and gas industry. The jacket was made up from hundreds of different steel plates, angles, circular & square sections.

The jacket could be made into any height, width and breath by modifying these three dimensions and every steel member modified to suit automatically.

What stages are involved in doing this so I can learn how to do this? Most of the structural members were created by frame generator.

How are all the steel material linked to each other is it through the parameters linked to each other, is the derived command used?

This was impressive stuff and will help me take inventor to the next stage. I have modeled a very basic table made up from a table top with four legs. I am trying to link all the parts together so when I change the height, width and breadth of the table everything moves together. If you could help me how to understand this first I am sure I can grasp the basics before I could even think about modeling a jacket.

Edited to add picture of a jacket

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

I have managed to work out how to use the parameters and by modifying them they have changed the size of the table.

How do I get to the next level by updating an assembly, made up of sub assemblies so if I change a few parameters it changes everything accordingly?

Also I am using an excel spread sheet and linking this to the parameters, is there a simpler way without using an excel spreadsheet?

Message 3 of 4

Well, there is no way to do it "simple" when dealing with structure of that magnitude. I would use words Reliable,  Consistent, Logical instead. And how do  you achieve that is pretty much up to you.

In the example you referred to - apart of Frame Generator they would use derive components a lot. Plus iParts and iAssemblies, I would imagine. Once you have mastered all of those techniques (and some more) - then creating a model of that complexity will be if not "simple" but quite possible.

Best Regards,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 4 of 4

Igor,

Thanks I will look these up and try them out

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report