Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parametric Detailed Drawings

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
276 Views, 4 Replies

Parametric Detailed Drawings

Hello,

I am currently trying to create parametric 2D drawings. These drawings are created using an Excel Inventor generator and from this the set parameters of the models are defined and automatically updated. However we are having difficulty in creating detailed drawing views within Autodesk Inventor 2009. This is because as the model size changes the detailed view created does not contain a set detail; instead it’s relative size changes and so displays different details each time. We have attached the detailed view to the drawing so that it’s location is set but we are as yet unable to set the relative size.

Is there any way to set the size relative to the model/drawing so that the detail view will contain the same view across the entire range?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew Wood.
Howden UK
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you create a standalone part that contains all the details, and use that for your views? That way, as the part changes, the view is only based on that part. Then you can just create a tabulated dimensions table which will explain how the sizing of the part works. For example, on the drawing you can show the table saying that the part number is 12345-xx, where xx equals the size of the part (or just a reference size), then in the table give specific examples, like 12345-24 where 24 equals centimeters, inches, or whatever you want the units to be. I attached a screenshot of a basic one.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Hello,
Thanks for your reply, I see what you mean and it would work.
However, there are multiple parts in the assemblies and the drawings are required to change with the models over a range (also changes parts included in assemblies etc).
Therefore the detailed views need to 'scale' with the drawings as opposed to being constant over the range (and thus showing different details in each size).

Andrew.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

I don't how it's done, but this can be done thru VB or API.

I've seen the scale of views updated as needed with VB or API when an
assembly grows larger or smaller than when the original view was placed
in an IDW.

Sorry I don't have any examples or info to point you to.
Message 5 of 5
andrewdroth

I would also like to know how to accomplish this.

I think it's something Autodesk should consider for future releases. It would allow users to fully utilize Inventor's parametric abilities. The control over parts and assemblies is great, especially if your using iLogic, but the same control is lacking in the IDW environment. This makes it difficult to intelligently link a parametric design and it's drawing.

I have an assembly that I plan on using multiple times in the future, it's completely driven by parameters, and controlled by iLogic. Changing it's design for a customer's need is as easy as entering the three driving parameters, the rest is automatically solved. It works really slick. The only trouble is, currently we have to make a new drawing for each design, because the length of the model can change substantially, and the drawing view scales either don't fit on the page or are too small. Making these changes doesn't take a long time, but it still seems unnecessary in a program as advanced as IV.

Incorporating parametric view scales could reduce drawing creation time substantially.

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

YouTube IconLinkedIn Icon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report