Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paper modelling question.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
decreat
615 Views, 7 Replies

Paper modelling question.

Dear all,

I`m not familiar with Inventor, but trying to learn it with my hobby project.

I have an idea to get the printed paper model, and to assembly it within Inventor. I have already started it in real life, with the scissors and clue, and now it is time to virtual way.

assembly.jpg

At the moment, I have the chassis, and next step should be a surface modelling.

But I`m not sure, which tool should I use. Chassis consist of some bulkheads, and there should be one patch between two neighbors. Patches are already printed:

surfaces.jpg

So I have to bend them, according to bulkheads profiles.

Question is: how can I perform this step? I can`t realize, how to bend these patches, to stich two neighbor profiles. Is it possible for Inventor? Or should I use the authomatic surface fill, and texturing later?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mikejones
in reply to: decreat

Sounds like a fun project to look at, could you zip the assembly and part file up that you have done so far and upload them here?

Mike

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 3 of 8
decreat
in reply to: mikejones

Sure, Mike. There is nothing interesting at the moment, but I`m ready to post my progress if anyone are interested in.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13944945/ship.zip

I don`t like an idea to use auto-surfacing, because there are a lot of small objects, requiring the same method - complicated bending. I need help to figure out, how to solve my task.

Message 4 of 8
mikejones

Hi again. I've not had chance to download your model but are you specifically looking at bending the profiles you have or creating a new flat sheet based on the part that joins the two bulkheads?

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 5 of 8
decreat
in reply to: mikejones

First one. I have a flat picture - something like unwrapped surface, and have to bend it, to complicated 3D form. 

I understand, that Inventor can generate the surface authomatically, to fill the space between bulkheads, but it is not my way.

Message 6 of 8
decreat

So, I have met another task, but similar to my initial one.

Deck. It is a plane, and it should get a form of chassis elements. They aren`t smooth and straight.

You may see the bends: first one,

bend1.jpg

and second one, at another axis.

bend2.jpg

I have no idea at the moment, how to make this deck bended two ways, but I believe, that it`s not a rocket science.

Message 7 of 8
LT.Rusty

Take a look at the sheet metal tools. That looks like probably your best bet. Set the thickness to whatever thickness your paper / card stock is, and go from there.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
decreat
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Thank you. I have tried to use the sheet metal, but hours later I decided to install Autodesk Alias Design.

Reason is: surfaces are too complicated to be bended via the usual technical processes. I need something more specific, like a mesh modifiers. Later, I will use the solid forms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtTNv7e5iYQ

By the way, I have no experience with AD at all, so it would be fun.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report