Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Painting a part

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
swimfast831
4964 Views, 7 Replies

Painting a part

How can I "paint" a part in inventor? I think it would be neat.

This is an insulating paint we put between steel and a subassembly. I'd like to make the paint part of the subassembly because we call it off on the BOM

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
cbenner
in reply to: swimfast831

Sounds like you want a "virtual component".  A part that is not physically modeled, but added to an assembly for BOM purposes.  Assemble Tab\ Create.... then check the box for a virtual component.  Examples would be paint, grease, glue etc.

Message 3 of 8
japike
in reply to: swimfast831

If you want an actual paint part, could you start a new part.  Then add the part you want to paint as a derived component using the "Body as Work Surface" option.  Then use the "Thicken/Offset" tool to add paint thickness?

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 4 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: japike

...using japike's Derived Component method will give you the volume of paint you need for your BOM.

Depending on the part geometry - sometimes you can simplyfy this with Shell rather than Thicken/Offset each individual face for the paint thickness.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
texteditor
in reply to: JDMather

Along the same lines we use a very thick paint on our components (.25mm thick) and this obviously has an effect on hole positions would a good solution be to assemble everything (with a thickness of paint and then drill the holes, and afterwards remove the paint thickness so the correct dimensions could be added to unpainted components?

texteditor.

Message 6 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: texteditor

You have to be careful how you do this - holes made at the assembly level don't automatically transfer to the part level unless you use the Bolted Connection Generator.

I think there is an add-in to push them down here http://labs.autodesk.com , but I have never used it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
suranga0251
in reply to: japike

This is work with simple parts only. When I do with complex models with lot of bends and geometry, this is not work well.

Any alternative solution????????

Message 8 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: suranga0251

@suranga0251 wrote:

This is work with simple parts only. When I do with complex models with lot of bends and geometry, this is not work well.

Any alternative solution????????

Please explain exactly what you need this "paint" to do.

Do you need "paint" to show in the BOM? (virtual component)

Do you really need to model the paint?

Is this "paint" applied during assembly or done at the part level? 

Whats wrong with just applying an appearance to your parts?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report