Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pack & Go insight

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
eveylynne
641 Views, 4 Replies

Pack & Go insight

I have about two dozen assemblies. Each has an assembly drawing, and a derived part of that assembly, and often some parts w/in the assembly are derived. (Clear as mud?)

I want to p&g the assemblies to another library within the same project on the same server.  These will become next year's gen of our product.  I don't want any link to last year's data.

If I have the "Keep Fold Hierarchy" selected, an ipj file is created that I can't seem to do anything with.  If I have "Copy to Single Path," I have access to files, and a new project file that I don't need (.ipj).

The attached jpg shows my p&g settings.

If I pack & go the assembly, the assembly drawing and the derived part created from the assembly are not included.  

If I p&g the derived part created from the assembly, the assembly drawing is not included, and this part looks to the original assembly, not the new one I just saved.  Any derived parts within the new assembly also look to the original source, not the pack and go. I don't know how to make any derived file look to a new source.

if I p&g the assembly drawing, the derived part is not included.  The drawing looks to the original assembly.  I don't know how to make it look to the new one. 

Essentially, I can't p&g a file and have all the info transferred, and everything looks to the original files, not the p&g'd stuff.

My request is advice.  I know in SW, I could rename the files as they were p&g'd, and select drawings/derived parts/etc, and they'd all look to the right everything.

Right now, I'm redrawing the idw's and remodeling the derived part of the assembly, after I replace components within the new assembly.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ampster401
in reply to: eveylynne

pack n go the drawing file and manually copy the derived

or look into using Design Assistant to create your copy.

With either option you could (should?) use Project Files to keep everything separate.

Message 3 of 5
eveylynne
in reply to: ampster401

If I manually copy the derive, how do I get it to look to the new copy?  Or do you mean remodel the derived part?

/reasearching DA

Alas, the IV department is a year old tomorrow.  We only recently created our own ipj rather than using the default, and that was only done because the default was causing errors when we updated to a new version of IV.  I imagine a new ipj for next year would be helpful, but I don't see it being created just yet.

Thank you!!

Message 4 of 5

Hi eveylynne,

Depending on the version of Inventor are you using, you might be able to use the iLogic Design Copy tool as well. It was included in the 2012 and 2013 versions. It will copy and update the internal links of an assembly. Note that you don't need to have used iLogic to use the iLogic Design Copy tool.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/3364-Show_Me_3364/3365-Show_Me_3365/3747-iLogic3...

You might determine that it is not the correct tool for your task, but it's worth looking into.

Paul covers several other copy tools here:

http://cadsetterout.com/inventor-tutorials/the-secrets-of-copying-assembly-files/

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 5
ampster401
in reply to: eveylynne

not too sure there is a way to make the derived part look at the newly created copy of the assy without using Project Files, not without doing some extra work at least.

I'd follow Curtis's advice on this one if you have one of the newer versions of Inventor.

If not, the DA might be the ticket.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report