Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLTW Train

37 REPLIES 37
Message 1 of 38
desitdt
8899 Views, 37 Replies

PLTW Train

I am tying to make the Train in the Project Lead the way tutorial and i am having alot of trouble doing the drive constraints. Could someone post A completed Train (Train and track) so i can see how it works and see what i am doing wrong. If not then can somone tell me what im doing wrong with the drive costraints. Below is the Train Assembly,
Train on the straight track, straight track, and screen caps of the tutorial. (open with Winzip)
37 REPLIES 37
Message 21 of 38
Inv_kaos
in reply to: desitdt

I am not to sure what you meant by question one but the pattern component had nothing to do with the outcome. The post was for a straight track and in that example I had to put your train and track into the one assembly, so I chose to pattern the track instead of constrain one at piece at a time. For the second part, this is the other post, for a curved track, in this case I drew a sketch down the centre of the track and extruded it as a surface (not a solid). You have this data set already so have a look at how it was created.

Regards
Stewart
Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Inventor Professional 2013, Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics 2013
Windows 7 x64 Core i7 32GB Ram FX2000
Message 22 of 38
desitdt

i got the curved track done, but how am supposed to flush the train's central plane to the planes of both the straight track and the curved?
Message 23 of 38
Inv_kaos

You don't, you create a reference part whereby you create a sketch down the centre of the entire track and extrude it as a surface. You must also make two cylinders that you constrain to the train and then constrain to the surface of your reference part. These cylinders should lie approx. in the centre of the train and the centre of each axis. When your done you can turn the visibility of the cylinders and the reference part off. It should now be able to be dragged around the track. Now apply your driving constraints.

Regards
SL
Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Message 24 of 38
Anonymous

yes can someone please post all the parts put together with the cow cather on it also?
The train requires a cow cather
Message 25 of 38
Anonymous

*catcher
Message 26 of 38
Inv_kaos

The parts were included in the other post as a .sat file, There is no cow catcher, you will have to model it.
Stew, AICP
Message 27 of 38
Anonymous

Please note that so far only two students have come here asking for help
with this project.

The majority of the people who post here use Inventor daily to create
machinery designs for their employers and while many will often take time to
help others, completely doing a student's homework is not something that
should be expected.

Modeling the PLTW "train" (or a train very similar) should take less than an
hour.

If I understand the exercise correctly, making it "go" around the track is
extra credit.

Apart from actually providing the models, several detailed suggested
solutions to the "make it go" question have been supplied.

There are a couple of on-line resources for students:

http://students6.autodesk.com/?lbon=1

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57

I'm not sure if PLTW has an on-line community however you might ask your
project leader.

--
Gary R. Smith
Autodesk Inventor Team
Portland, OR
2.33GHz 2GB IBM ThinkPad T60p; XP pro SP2
ATI Mobility FireGL V5250 driver: 8.293.1.0
Message 28 of 38
dadams

make a train car for me please???!!!!
Message 29 of 38
tam1228

My train proj is due in a week and its all messed up. I had a problem with my drive constraints and when i fixed it now my linkage arm wont fit on the wheel. I checked and dont think there is anything wrong with my dimensions on the wheel, linkage arm or train body. I know how to get the train t drive on the track, i just need to fit the linkage arm on. I may have messed up my wheel when i tried to fix it and i saved the changes but i cant know for sure until i reopen the file when i get to school. Anyway can someone PLEASE help me to assemble the linkage arm with the rest of the train!!!What could i have done wrong and how do i fix it
Message 30 of 38
Inv_kaos

Sounds like you have your constraints mixed up. For example, make sure the drive constraint is between the body and the track only and the angle (rotation) constraint for the wheel is between the wheel and the body. You only need this on one wheel, the linkage will be driven by the wheel and will drive the wheel in front. Constrain the wheel on the other side to the driven wheel and they will follow.

If you are still having trouble then post your assembly.
Stew, AICP
Message 31 of 38
bashir1995
in reply to: Inv_kaos

Can you please make the Train move on The Track And attach it here i will be happy plus i need the train in by next 1 week thanx 

Message 32 of 38
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: bashir1995

The object of being a student is to learn, not have someone else do their homework.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 33 of 38
sm201097
in reply to: Anonymous

How did you create the crank constraint?

Message 34 of 38
JDMather
in reply to: sm201097

Attach the assembly here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 35 of 38
sm201097
in reply to: JDMather

Here is the zipped file with all the parts.

What do you mean by marking this response?

Message 36 of 38
JDMather
in reply to: sm201097

@sm201097 wrote:

What do you mean by marking this response?

That is a canned tagline that everyone here uses.
If I (or someone else) answers your question - mark it as answered so that everyone knows you have found your solution

I'll try to get back to your question in a bit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 37 of 38
JDMather

I opened one of your parts (Wheel.ipt) and noticed that your first sketch isn't constrained to the origin  or revolved about the y axis (which would be logical).

Your teacher should have covered this.

You might want to read this document while I look at the rest of the assembly

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

EESignature

Message 38 of 38
JDMather

You need to arrange the wheels so that the pins (and therefore the Linkage arms are in the same position.
But I would forget about all of this for now.

It is far more important to start developing a strong foundation of the most basic of ideas - fully constrain your sketches.
I opened another part and there are no dimensions?  This is a bad habit to develop (and as a side note - is good evidence why Inventor Fusion should have never seen the light of day - you can ignore this - it is a message for Autodesk).

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report