Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLTW Train

37 REPLIES 37
Message 1 of 38
desitdt
8897 Views, 37 Replies

PLTW Train

I am tying to make the Train in the Project Lead the way tutorial and i am having alot of trouble doing the drive constraints. Could someone post A completed Train (Train and track) so i can see how it works and see what i am doing wrong. If not then can somone tell me what im doing wrong with the drive costraints. Below is the Train Assembly,
Train on the straight track, straight track, and screen caps of the tutorial. (open with Winzip)
37 REPLIES 37
Message 2 of 38
desitdt
in reply to: desitdt
Message 3 of 38
JDMather

Missing the train.
I think you will have to post that to get some help.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 38
desitdt

the train assembly is in the train.zip with the track, and the complete assembly
Message 5 of 38
Inventor1

Not that i can open it here anyway, but you have:

1 Train & track assembly
2 Train assembly
3 Track part

It seems to me, and what JD was asking for, is you need a Train part (.ipt) to go into the Train assembly (.iam)

Daniel
Message 6 of 38
desitdt

im confused...i gave the train assembly (all the part of the train), an assembly with the train on the track, and a straight track....if u need a specific train part i can post them but just say which one....sry for confusion
Message 7 of 38
Inv_kaos

An assembly file doesn't store parts, it only references them. You must upload every part file that you have in each assembly file, along with the assembly file.
You are missing all the parts in your train:
1.linkage arm
2.link peg
3.peg
4.train body
5.wheel
6.stack
Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Inventor Professional 2013, Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics 2013
Windows 7 x64 Core i7 32GB Ram FX2000
Message 8 of 38
Inventor1

There the ones!!!

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE......

(excuse us, it's Australia Day tomorrow)

Daniel
Message 9 of 38
Inv_kaos

OI OI OI...
Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Message 10 of 38
desitdt

ok really sorry i didnt realize it only refrenced the parts... ok here are all the parts, the train, and the track.
Message 11 of 38
Anonymous

A lot of users use Pack and Go - available by right clicking on the top level assembly from with Windows Explorer.

P&G will then collect everything that is needed, you can then zip it for posting.

--
Duncan
"Humour ... is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, and proving by fabricated insanity that nothing could be
as mad as what passes for ordinary living."
(Terence 'Spike' Milligan K.B.E., 1918-2002)
www.autodesk.co.uk/inventorjobs
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375

wrote in message news:5830149@discussion.autodesk.com...
ok really sorry i didnt realize it only refrenced the parts... ok here are all the parts, the train, and the track.
Message 12 of 38
JDMather

Your trainandtrack assembly references a newtrain assembly but you included a different train assembly.

I could do the problem for you but not sure you would get much out of that. It would be better to explain where you went wrong and fix your model if you can post the actual files you are now working with.

As a sidebar I also saw some stuff in the tutorial that indicates to me the person who wrote the tutorial doesn't know how to use Inventor properly. The problems I saw shouldn't effect what you are trying to do but it just bothers me to see stuff like Pi rounded when it is harder to round than just type PI.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 13 of 38
desitdt

ok i finally figured out how to do pack and go...sry for the wait..if somone can styill help me with this is i would be appreciated.

files are here: http://www.mediafire.com/?2ezf7gym9ds
It was tio big to post on site.
Message 14 of 38
Josh_Petitt

>P&G will then collect everything that is needed, you can then zip it for posting

In addition, it will also make a project file to reference the components with. Also a very handy feature.
Message 15 of 38
desitdt

Message 16 of 38
desitdt

can somone please help me with this...it needs to be finished by thursday
Message 17 of 38
Inv_kaos

Have a look at the assembly attached. I have put the track in the same .iam as the train parts, as per the pictures of the tutorials. I added the crank constraint relative to the wheel and then created the formula for the flush constraint to drive the train.
It would have been easier if the parts had been created properly, about the origin planes. So you will notice I have added a few extra work planes and re-constrained the train relative to the track.
The crank constraint has been renamed Drive Me, give it a go.
I have only done the first part but it should be enough for you to work out how to create a motion constraint as per the second part of the tutorial.

I hope it helps
Regards
Stewart
Stew, AICP
Message 18 of 38
inventor32

can someone get me the cow catcher
Message 19 of 38
inventor32

hey Inv_kaos can you post all parts incluing the cow catcher
Message 20 of 38
desitdt

i was just looking at the forums when i saw you responded with more help on the train. Even though the project is already turned in i would like to get this to work. So on this model you added extra work planes (i dont know what i did wrong on these), reconstrained the train to the track using the planes instead of the flush constraint previously used on the side of the train, and made a new formula for the flush constraint (can you tell me how this formula works?). So i have 2 questions

1) Since the track is now constrained to the Straight track plane, is the reason it switches between each track piece's plane a result of the component pattern.

2) How would you make a plane in the middle of the curved track for it to continue around the oval? You did it before with that guide rail but i didnt know how you did it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report