Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PERFORATED PANELS

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
mark0ms
244 Views, 3 Replies

PERFORATED PANELS

I want to model a perforated sheet metal panel that has some flanges. My first guess as to how to best do this was to model the part with flanges and all, and then go to the flat pattern and create a rectangulre pattern of a cutout feature of some center point circles. However, you can't edit a flat pattern (and that really stinks). What's the best way to do what I want?
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mariox
in reply to: mark0ms

Hi Mark, you should make a cutoff in the bended part, create a sketch, in the sketch you can project the flat pattern geometry (see under the project tool), then you can create your cutoff selecting the radio button "cut across the bend".

Ciao, Giovanni
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Depending on how much perforation you are doing you may want to consider just using
textures instead. Large perf patterns kill performance.

--
Kent
Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program

"mark0ms" wrote in message news:f12a2b5.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> I want to model a perforated sheet metal panel that has some flanges. My first guess as
to how to best do this was to model the part with flanges and all, and then go to the flat
pattern and create a rectangulre pattern of a cutout feature of some center point circles.
However, you can't edit a flat pattern (and that really stinks). What's the best way to do
what I want?
Message 4 of 4
mark0ms

Yeah, I'm kind of worried about the performance too. Especially since it's going to be used in an assembly of a piece of test equipment made from a 19-inch standard rack enclosure. The panels come both perforated and unperforated so the plan was to create a factory and substitute the unperforated part in the assembly, and manually edit the parts list. That'll be close enough. Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report