Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Output coordinates of "moving" parts within an assembly to an Excel file

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
georgemuttathil7972
382 Views, 7 Replies

Output coordinates of "moving" parts within an assembly to an Excel file

I have two odd shaped parts that need to move together along an odd shaped path. (see attached file) While the parts move along the path, they need to maintain contact with each other on their outer surface. (two cars moving along a track with 0 gap between them) I was able to maintain contact between the two parts using transitional constraints. I was able to have the two parts follow the desired path - also using transitional constraints. I was able to move the parts together by driving an angular constraint. I now need to log the coordinates of the two parts at each step of the movement (each time the driven constraint is incremented). Logging the position of the origin of each part would be fine. Or attaching a point to each part in the assembly and then logging the position of each point would acceptable too. Does anyone know of a method of doing this? Dynamic Simulation does not seem to be the proper tool. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. Kind regards, George M.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

George there is not attachment

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8

Sorry. Hope this .jpg attachment works this time. I'll also try attaching a .wmv video. George
Message 4 of 8

@georgemuttathil7972 wrote:
.... Dynamic Simulation does not seem to be the proper tool. ....

How did you come to this conclusion?

Can't you add a Trace to a point in the assembly for the Output Grapher, export to a part sketch, or to export to Excel?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 8

I'm not doing something right in attaching my file. It appears that Dynamic Simulation takes mass, friction, time and other dynamic factors into consideration. I am not interested in any of those. I just want to increment the position of my one part and have it "push" the other part along a path (by driving a constraint), meanwhile logging each of their X and Y coordinates throughout the path. I haven't really used Dynamic Simulation. Let me know if you think DS is the right tool for this. Thanks again. George
Message 6 of 8

@georgemuttathil7972 wrote:
... Let me know if you think DS is the right tool for this. Thanks again. George

DS is the only way that I know of to do what you want automatically.  Otherwise the only method I know would be laboriously manual, move/inquire/move/inquire......

You can ignore parameters that you are not interested in.

What browser are you using to attempt "attaching" files here.

Instead of using the image or video tool - try using the Attachments - Choose file.

If that doesn't work, right click on the file and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder and then attempt Attaching the resulting *.zip file.

Try different browsers, IE, Chrome....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 7 of 8

Thank you so much! I'm very much a newby to DS, so it took me most of about 6 hours today to figure out how to set up the simulation and output the data but I achieved exactly what I needed. Thanks again. George
Message 8 of 8

Well, that is pretty impressive that you figured it out without a hundred questions.

It takes a while to learn DS and there are lots of undocumented tricks.

I've been at it for several years and am just starting to figure out like maybe I know something about DS.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report