Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordinate Dimensions

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
sps_cad_guy
1469 Views, 15 Replies

Ordinate Dimensions

I use ordinate dimensioning on most all the drawings that go to our shop, but I've run into a problem setting 0,0 on one part.

Along the left side, is a straight edge, but the zero point along the bottom will be a point.

How do I use the point as my zero surface?

Thanks so much for your help.

Lenovo Think Pad
Windows 7 SP 1
64 Bit.
Inventor 2014 SP2
ACAD Mechanical 2014
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
CCarreiras
in reply to: sps_cad_guy

Hi!

I can't understand what you try to achieve...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 3 of 16
sps_cad_guy
in reply to: CCarreiras

Sorry, I thought the screen would clear it up.

I've added a note to my screen shot to hopefully make it easier to understand what I need to accomplish.

Lenovo Think Pad
Windows 7 SP 1
64 Bit.
Inventor 2014 SP2
ACAD Mechanical 2014
Message 4 of 16
chad38

I haven't had to figure something like this out yet, but if I was and couldn't get the software to allow me to at first, I would use a sketch within the print and place the point myself using project geometry.

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 5 of 16
GSE_Dan_A
in reply to: chad38

Depending on your geometry, sometimes you can place the Ordinate Origin at any point on your part and then RMB on the Origin symbol and go to Edit. You will then be able to enter co-ordinates (X and Y) in order to move the Origin a specified amount.

Origin Indicator Edit.jpg

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 6 of 16
chad38
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

Wouldn't it be simpler to do as I said above, considering the part geometry may change, and if the point placed in the sketch is constrained to the part geometry, the origin point wouldn't need to be refigured and adjusted every time the geometry changed slightly?

HP Z420 Workstation
12.0 GB RAM
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 7 of 16
GSE_Dan_A

Yes my method is assuming the geometry is correct and that no changes are to be made. In my example, I did not need to use the Edit method as it was easy to select my Origin Point, but it was the only recent example of where I used a Ordinate Dimension.  This is just an alternate method that may work for the OP (or someone else that may happen to come across this thread).

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 8 of 16
sps_cad_guy

I tried creating the sketch on the drawing, but could not get the line I drew to constrain to the point that I need to use as zero.

Setting the 0,0 point, then moving it down seems to have worked like a champ.

Lenovo Think Pad
Windows 7 SP 1
64 Bit.
Inventor 2014 SP2
ACAD Mechanical 2014
Message 9 of 16
chad38

Im relatively new to inventor, so I don't want to come across as a know-it-all. Would my point not remain constrained to the part geometry, provided the basic shape of the geometry remained the same? I understand that if the part changed drastically I would expect to perhaps lose a few constraints that I'd have to repair, but would I lose constraints during simple, ordinary changes?

HP Z420 Workstation
12.0 GB RAM
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 10 of 16
chad38

You must select the view to use BEFORE creating the sketch. Then you must use "project geometry" to be able to constrain to the lines in the view. Maybe someone with a bit more experience in the software than I can confirm this is how to sketch within a view in inventor?

HP Z420 Workstation
12.0 GB RAM
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 11 of 16
GSE_Dan_A

No you made a valid point! I re-created a sample part of what the OP was showing in his screen grab and I figured out that by first overing the Origin over the point at the end of the vertical line and then dragging the mouse down to the intersection of the two lines (Vertical and Horizontal), I was able to snap the Indicator in place.

Origin Indicator Edit 2.jpg

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 12 of 16
sps_cad_guy

In the words of Homer....D'OH......I knew that, I guess just had a gas bubble in the brain this morning.

Lenovo Think Pad
Windows 7 SP 1
64 Bit.
Inventor 2014 SP2
ACAD Mechanical 2014
Message 13 of 16
chad38

Whew! I'm really glad I wasn't just making myself look like I was an expert when in reality, I'm just starting to kind of get the hang of this software. Back in it for about a month.

HP Z420 Workstation
12.0 GB RAM
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 14 of 16
sps_cad_guy

If I have two perpendicular lines, hovering over the lines will allow me to create my 0,0 where they would intersect,

but in my example, one side was a straight line while the other was a point. I could not hover over the point.

Lenovo Think Pad
Windows 7 SP 1
64 Bit.
Inventor 2014 SP2
ACAD Mechanical 2014
Message 15 of 16
GSE_Dan_A

Smiley Very Happy I hear ya! I have taken one course on this program (Introduction to Solid Modeling via iMaginit) and there is so much stuff I have yet to learn or discover. I have touched on a lot of stuff over 2 years but only the surface!

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 16 of 16
GSE_Dan_A

sps my mistake I was assuming the wrong location.  Well hopefully either of the solutions presented helped and works for you!

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report