Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening part in assembly not working

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
MechEng_1
2156 Views, 18 Replies

Opening part in assembly not working

Hi,

Not sure if this is a setting that needs changed or is a bug of some sort but when i am in an assembly and double click on a sub assembly it highlights that sub assembly and greys out the rest of the model as expected, however if i then right click on a part and bring up the menu and click open it does nothing. It seems as though when i right click, the menu opens and it deselects the part so when i select open it does nothing as no part is selected. I can click on the item in the tree and select open and this works but it is just annoying me that i cannot do it in the model as i am sure i used to be able to do this.

Is this a problem for everyone or just me.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
JDMather
in reply to: MechEng_1

What selection filter do you have active?

If you reboot the computer does the behavior persist?

Can you attach an assembly here that exhibits this behavior?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 19

Hi,

on which version of Inventor do you work(e.g. 2013)? Could you upload here orsend me your assembly for more detailed investigation in our team? If you prefer you can contact me directly - stanislavDOTsedlakATautodeskDOTcom

Thanks

Stanislav

Message 4 of 19
MechEng_1

JD Mather, component priority is on ( i dont tend to change this), rebooting doesn't seem to make a difference as I noticed it yesterday as well. It happens on all assemblies, I have tried opening quite a few from different files and it happens on them all.

Stanislav, I am using Inventor pro 2013 SP2, I could send you an assembly but as i said above, it happens on all assemblies. Is it still worth me sending you anything?

Thanks

Message 5 of 19
Lancasterm

I have seen some strange things with trying to open parts from the cursor menu when selecting components on the graphic screen.   From the browser treee, not a problem.   I did some testing on an assembly I have here and can reproduce some of your behavior in Inv 2013 SP2.   For a test, go into application options/colors (tab) and turn off "enable prehighlight".   Once I turned that option off, all the odd behavior on my assembly went away.

Message 6 of 19
MechEng_1

Lancasterm,

Thanks for that, tried your solution but it didnt seem to make a difference.

Message 7 of 19
Lancasterm

For another test...  Go to View/User Interface (pull down) and disable marking menu.

Also can you reproduce this on another computer?

Regards

Mark L

Message 8 of 19
MechEng_1

Thanks again Mark, this again made no difference, as soon as I right click, it deselects the part or assemblyi have highlighted.

I work alone so dont have another computer I can try it on.

Message 9 of 19
rdyson

Check if your mouse buttons settings have gotten changed in Windows.
Also try left click and context menu keyboard button, probably between the right control and start buttons.

PDSU 2016
Message 10 of 19
MechEng_1

Just an update. I switched my laptop on this morning and it seems to be back to normal, will keep an eye on it and see if i can see a pattern of when it starts doing it again. I checked my mouse properties last night and nothing had changed.

Message 11 of 19
MechEng_1

Another update, it seems to work fine when i first switch inventor on, as soon as i start to work for a while it starts acting up agan. I haven't noticed a pattern as to when it starts but will keep an eye out.

It is extremely frustrating though!!

Message 12 of 19
jwiens

hi, i'm having this same issue.

i'm using inventor pro 2013, sp 2, update 3, build 200

when i right click an assembly, it deselects, so that any option i select does nothing.

it happens very randomly, sometimes working or not working on the same component.

any ideas?

Message 13 of 19
JDMather
in reply to: jwiens

jwiens wrote:.

...when i right click an assembly, it deselects, so that any option i select does nothing.

I have read this several times and still don't understand your problem description.
Can you attach assembly here that exhibits this behavior?

Include screen captures?

Maybe it is a problem in the description of the problem behavior.

One thing to note: the right mouse button option in assembly are different depending on whether or not the part (or sub-assembly) are open or not in the background.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 14 of 19
MechEng_1
in reply to: JDMather

JDMather,

I don't know what you mean, it makes perfect sense to me!!!! 🙂

I dont think attaching any files would help matters as it happens on all assemblies after I have been working on inventor for a while. I shall try and explain myself a little better.

If you open an assembly and double click on a sub assembly the remainder of the assembly greys out and you are left with the sub assembly.

Now, at the beginning of my session I dont have a problem so if I right click on say a content centre part it is highlighted with a blue surround and the menu appears from here I can select options such as 'open' or 'change size' and the appropriate action happens (see attached screengrab).

When the problem starts to occur, when I right click on the part the menu still appears but the blue surround around the part disappears (deselects when the menu pops up) so if you can imagine the same screengrab as above with the part NOT being highlighted (no blue surround) but the menu still showing. This means it doesnt matter what option I select in that menu all that happens is the menu disappears and nothing happens (because I assume as there is no part selected inventor doesn't know what part to take the appropriate action on).

I will try and get a screengrab of the problem when it happens to try and show what I mean.

Hopefully this makes more sense???

Message 15 of 19
JDMather

Check what selection filter you have active.

EESignature

Message 16 of 19
MechEng_1

Select component priority is active automatically.

Message 17 of 19
MechEng_1

ok attached is the screengrab of the problem, all i did here was right click on the elbow which as you will see has deselected and brought up the menu, if i click on any of the options within the menu from here it doesnt perform any action.

Message 18 of 19
JCrilly

Has this problem been resolved?

I am having the same issue with the three computers here.

Message 19 of 19
MechEng_1

No, still not resolved.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report