Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening Solid works drawings with Inventor 2013

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
nmetzger
4134 Views, 9 Replies

Opening Solid works drawings with Inventor 2013

Hi All, I have a customer who uses Solid Works and I of course have Inventor 2013. Before I get into discussion with them about software compatability I wanted to ask the experts! Can I open Solid Works drawings with Inventor? If so, are there any issues I should be aware of?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Cadmanto
in reply to: nmetzger

No, the only think you can open directly into Inventor are .sldprt and .sldasm files.

If you want to bring in a Solidworks drawing file they are going to have to export it out as a .dxf.

Or have them save it out as an Autocad .dwg file and you can open that as well.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 10
nmetzger
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thanks, I was afraid of that. They seem to be quit resistant to saving them as .dxf or .dwg. I am unfamiliar with Solid Works, is changing them to a new format difficult? I do not understand why they are so against it.

Message 4 of 10
Cadmanto

I am guessing that they do not want to lose the integrity of their drawings.  Solidworks has specific fonts (like other softwares) that when converted end up changing to the closest version the transfer thinks it to be.

Hope this makes sense.  Sorry to say this, but it is what it is.  Not sure how to get around it given the cards you have been dealt.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 10
JDMather

SolidWorks does have a free viewer if all you need is to view the drawings.

You wouldn't have any associativity between 3D and 2D anyhow without having the native program.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 10
JDMather

@nmetzger wrote:
 Can I open Solid Works drawings with Inventor?

Your other question got me worried about this one.

Do you realize that SolidWorks has part, assembly and drawing files just like Inventor?

Inventor CAN open SolidWorks part and assembly files, but cannot open drawing files.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 10
swalton

We supply native 3d models and drawings to our customers so we maintain seats of PTC, Solidworks and IV on subscription.  That way our work product can be pulled into the customer's engineering department without any translation issues.

You may have a bigger customer base if you can deliver your jobs in the customer's internal format.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 8 of 10
392-47843259

I like to open

@nmetzger wrote:

Hi All, I have a customer who uses Solid Works and I of course have Inventor 2013. Before I get into discussion with them about software compatability I wanted to ask the experts! Can I open Solid Works drawings with Inventor? If so, are there any issues I should be aware of?

Solidworks files in Inventor 2013

Message 9 of 10
RogerMollon
in reply to: 392-47843259

nmetzger,

You can open .sldprt and .sldasm files with Inventor.  If they're sending you an assembly make sure they send all the files.  Here's a list of the various versions of Inventor and the versions of SolidWorks that they can read:

Inventor 2013 can read SolidWorks 2003 thru 2012

Inventor 2014 can read SolidWorks 2001 Plus thru 2013

Inventor 2015 can read SolidWorks 2001 Plus thru 2014

Because you are using Inventor 2013 make usre they can send you the SolidWorks versions it can handle, otherwise STEP, Parasolid (.x_t or .x_b), or SAT Version 7 are your other options in that order of preference.

I hope this helps,

Roger Mollon
Forge - Strategic Tech Consultant - Novi
Autodesk, Inc. - Retired
Message 10 of 10
392-47843259
in reply to: RogerMollon

Hi,

Thank you for the tips I think my problem might be that I am trying to open
a 2014 Solidworks file into Inentor 2013.

Thank you

Very much

Vic Le Roux RSA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report