Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Object snap settings in ordinate dimensions.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
kprom
1465 Views, 5 Replies

Object snap settings in ordinate dimensions.

We use ordinate dimensions for all holes in parts.  Unfortunately there seems to be features frequently left out of ordinate dimension mode.  For instance, by default Inventor uses center and quadrant object snaps.  Unlike in normal dimension mode, there is no right click option for disabling quadrant snaps.  This is a constant annoyance, especially when dimensioning a print with a lot of holes.  Is there any other way or hidden setting to disable the quadrant snap?  In addition, add member is missing from the new "marking menu"  completely so we have to enable the old right click menu to get it back.  Are we the only ones using ordinate dimensions?

Inventor 2013 SP1.1 update 1(seriously guys?)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
SBix26
in reply to: kprom

I use ordinate dimensioning frequently and have not run into the issues you're having.  True, you can't turn off quadrant snaps for ordinate dims, but I typically dimension to center marks, so I don't see it as a problem.

I can't find any way to eliminate 'Add Member' from the context menu.  If an ordinate dimension set is selected, right clicking produces only a normal vertical menu-- there is no marking menu on my computer when an ordinate dimension set is selected.  I'm not sure why you're seeing something different, unless you have the customization set for Overflow Menu > Radial Menu Only.  In that case you see nothing at all.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 3 of 6
kprom
in reply to: SBix26

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.  It sounds like you confirmed both of the issues?  Just because you use don't care doesn't mean they don't exist.  

Add member should be available in the marking menu, just like other commands, that it what I am saying.  Just like you should be able to turn off quadrant snaps in ordinate dimenioning.  

Message 4 of 6
SBix26

Sorry, I didn't say that very well.  I agree that the snap settings should be available the same as they are for other dimension tools.  But it hasn't caused me any grief the way it is.

But I don't follow the problem with Add Member-- it's not in the radial menu out of the box, and there is not a defined radial menu context for dimensions, and there's not even a command available to add to the radial menu.  But Add Member is in the overflow menu, and it remains active for multiple uses (unlike some past versions).  Are you not seeing it there, or do you have the overflow menu turned off?  Or are you just wishing that you could add it to the radial menu?

Sam B

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 6
kprom
in reply to: SBix26

" It's not in the radial menu out of the box, and there is not a defined radial menu context for dimensions, and there's not even a command available to add to the radial menu.  "

That's what I am saying.  Why can't it be in the radial menu?  Why can't I turn off overflow?  Why switch to a radial menu if it doesn't work for everything?

Message 6 of 6
SBix26

@kprom wrote:

Why can't I turn off overflow?  Why switch to a radial menu if it doesn't work for everything?

Because the radial menu can only hold eight tools and most contexts have a lot more things to put in the context menu?  That's my guess, anyway.  But it would be nice to define more Drawing sub-contexts so more commands & options could be available through the radial menu.

Sam B

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report