Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 0.001 in line weights in sketch mode?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
dirttraxx
1412 Views, 5 Replies

No 0.001 in line weights in sketch mode?

Hey everyone! I've been working to get a part I need for a class cut out on a laser cutter we have at school. My only issue is that the laser cutter will only cut 0.001" red lines on 2d sketches that are sent to its print driver. This would seem like no big problem, but all we have at school is inventor. I do realize I could put a student trial of autocad on the computer, but I'd rather not (for more than a few reasons). Anyways, when in sketch mode, the only things close to 0.001 line weight are: Default - I really don't know what weight this is, but it looks like 0.000 0.000" - Too small/ non-existent. 0.002" - Two times too big. I have attached a picture to show the menu. Also, I have found it helps to zoom in really far to the lines in the sketch, and then in the Tools tab, Options partition, Document settings, Sketch tab, you can set it to show the true line weights in the view window. I have tried exporting a face or sketch as a .dxf and .dwg, but since I only have inventor to open them in, it really doesn't help a whole lot. I have however not tried to print from an .idw. Thanks for any help you can give me! Ron
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: dirttraxx

@dirttraxx wrote:
... My only issue is that the laser cutter will only cut 0.001" red lines on 2d sketches that are sent to its print driver.
Ron

Let me make sure, you print to the machine like any other printer, correct?

LIneweight.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
dirttraxx
in reply to: JDMather

You. Are. A. Wizard.
And clearly I don't have your powers.
When I go into the style and standard editor window, the only two trees are "Lighting" and "Text". I remember seeing a full menu like the picture you posted, but now I can't get to it for the life of me. Is there any way to reset the whole styles menu, or just all inventor settings?

Also, yes, printing is the same as it is to any other printer. Ctrl+P and the menu button both work.
Message 4 of 6
dirttraxx

Here is what I was talking about in the menu.
Message 5 of 6
dirttraxx

Also, are my screenshots showing up?
I did attach them...
Message 6 of 6
dirttraxx
in reply to: dirttraxx

Here's what I found worked: When placing a part in an IDW, you can simply go to the annotate tab, go to the format box, and click edit layers. You can then make a new layer, and save it. The layer I made was called Laser Cut Line, and was RGB Red with a thickness of 0.001" (which you can just type into the little drop-down window/menu). Once back in the IDW, you can select all the lines, and select the layer from the drop-down menu. I also made a custom IDW with no borders or titleblocks, the size of my laser bed. I did this by right-clicking the sheet in the browser, and making it a custom size. In my case, the size was 1' by 2'. After that, I simply deleted the border and title block by right-clicking and deleting. I hope this helps anyone who may have had or will have the same problems as me. Thanks for your help!! Ron

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report