Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Question: Grounded Work Point Vs. Work Point Vs. Sketch Point

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
trus
1224 Views, 3 Replies

Newbie Question: Grounded Work Point Vs. Work Point Vs. Sketch Point

I'd appreciate anyone explaining the use/differences of Grounded Work Points Vs. Work Point Vs. Sketch Points.

P.S. Beyond the scope of the initial question, why can't the assembly create a 3D sketch? I'd like to create ten or twenty points in 3D (x, y, z) space.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
cwhetten
in reply to: trus

See here for an explanation of the differences between a work point and a grounded work point:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/enu?adskContextId=TOOLTIP_PARTGROUNDEDWORKPOINTCMD&language=ENU&release...

I have never needed a grounded work point, so I can't offer any insight into why you would want to use them.

Sketch points are really similar to work points.  They exist in the sketch, so if the sketch is deleted, the sketch points are also deleted.  Also, all vertices of sketch entities (line, arc, or spline endpoints, arc centers, etc.) are also sketch points.  Sketch points can be used to create work points, and vice versa.

I don't know why 3D sketches are not available in the assembly environment.  You may need to create a part with your point cloud, and then insert it into your assembly.  Or create the point cloud in an existing part, depending on how you wish to use it.

-cwhetten

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.

Message 3 of 4
trus
in reply to: cwhetten

Thank you.

As a new member to the AutoDesk family, how does one (AKA a user) submit recommendations to the AutoDesk folks in charge of new features. (i.e., Enhancement Request)

-- Tony

Message 4 of 4
SBix26
in reply to: trus

Inventor IdeaStation 

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report