Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New? wish item: Apply textures inside IDW

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
261 Views, 10 Replies

New? wish item: Apply textures inside IDW

I am using a Screen_2&.bmp texture to represent a fencing material. This is nice in the modeling environment, and worthless in the drawing environment. I know how to do fills in an IDW, but what would really be nice is a way to show the textures in the IDW, especially the "see-thru" ones. Without this, I can't show a part like a fence in a drawing without it completely obsuring what is behind it. Any word on if this has been asked for in the past and being worked on for the future? --
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you tried using a shadeds view? Mike "John" wrote in message news:40fc1c6e_3@newsprd01... > I am using a Screen_2&.bmp texture to represent a fencing material. This is > nice in the modeling environment, and worthless in the drawing environment. > I know how to do fills in an IDW, but what would really be nice is a way to > show the textures in the IDW, especially the "see-thru" ones. Without this, > I can't show a part like a fence in a drawing without it completely obsuring > what is behind it. > > Any word on if this has been asked for in the past and being worked on for > the future? > > -- > > >
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

Yes but I'd get laughed out of the office if I did it on ortho views front, top, right side. You're kidding right? "Mike Maenpaa" wrote in message news:40fc1f8e$1_1@newsprd01... > Have you tried using a shadeds view? > > Mike > > "John" wrote in message news:40fc1c6e_3@newsprd01... > > I am using a Screen_2&.bmp texture to represent a fencing material. This > is > > nice in the modeling environment, and worthless in the drawing > environment. > > I know how to do fills in an IDW, but what would really be nice is a way > to > > show the textures in the IDW, especially the "see-thru" ones. Without > this, > > I can't show a part like a fence in a drawing without it completely > obsuring > > what is behind it. > > > > Any word on if this has been asked for in the past and being worked on for > > the future? > > > > -- > > > > > > > >
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Yes and No. I realize, that due to modeling complexity and speed, why you used a texture. Do you need to show it in all ortho views? We've always used standard black & white prints here; but, I wouldn't discard the idea of using a shaded view, to help the guy building the thing. What about a separate sheet with shaded views. Mike > Yes but I'd get laughed out of the office if I did it on ortho views front, > top, right side. You're kidding right? >
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

> Any word on if this has been asked for in the past and being worked on for > the future? The alternative is to just model the frame and model a small portion of the weave in 1 or 2 of the corners. Hardly a joyful experience. "John" wrote in message news:40fc1c6e_3@newsprd01... > I am using a Screen_2&.bmp texture to represent a fencing material. This is > nice in the modeling environment, and worthless in the drawing environment. > I know how to do fills in an IDW, but what would really be nice is a way to > show the textures in the IDW, especially the "see-thru" ones. Without this, > I can't show a part like a fence in a drawing without it completely obsuring > what is behind it. > > Any word on if this has been asked for in the past and being worked on for > the future? > > -- > > >
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

The problem with having a surface to texture is that, in an IDW, you can't SEE through the texture. So then appying a hatch file doesn't resolve the issue that the panel hides everything behind it - because it's solid. Once you've created a solid panel for a fence, it makes no difference if the separate sheet shows the shaded views, the normal views are all screwed up, period. You can't have it both ways. You either don't show the panel in modeling, or you don't show what's behind it in the IDW. The methods are mutually exclusive. Thanks for your input Mike, but I've explored the options that you are suggesting, and they don't work in the long run as far as I can see. The final option is to create a true model of the wire and array it. It results in a 4x8 panel that is a 2 MB file - A fence with 10 of these panels brings my 3GHz Prescott to a grinding halt. There must be a way to have the cake and eat it too, but until we can selectively display features of a part (in this case, turn off the visibility of the wire portion of the panel, and apply a hatch fill), or change a part's display function (in this case, make it transparent or see-thru) in an IDW, this will continue to be an issue. Any thoughts on this from Andrew Faix or the Drawing Manager group are welcome here. "Mike Maenpaa" wrote in message news:40fc23f0_2@newsprd01... > Yes and No. I realize, that due to modeling complexity and speed, why you > used a texture. Do you need to show it in all ortho views? > We've always used standard black & white prints here; but, I wouldn't > discard the idea of using a shaded view, to help the guy building the thing. > What about a separate sheet with shaded views. > > Mike > > > > Yes but I'd get laughed out of the office if I did it on ortho views > front, > > top, right side. You're kidding right? > > > >
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

By no means do I speak on behalf of Autodesk in this matter, but I think I know why these textures do not display in a non-rendered drawing view. I believe that for Inventor to be able to display "see-thru" areas in a drawing view, something along the lines of "vector-based textures" would have to be introduced. All the textures that are currently used in Inventor are bitmapped files, so by definition, they would be raster-based. In order for Inventor to calculate which lines in a drawing view should be visible and which should be hidden, the texture would have to be expressed as a vector or group of vectors. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Brian R. Iwaskewycz Senior Mechanical Engineer PA Transformer Technology, Inc. To err is human; to debug, divine. > I am using a Screen_2&.bmp texture to represent a fencing material. This is > nice in the modeling environment, and worthless in the drawing environment. > I know how to do fills in an IDW, but what would really be nice is a way to > show the textures in the IDW, especially the "see-thru" ones. Without this, > I can't show a part like a fence in a drawing without it completely obsuring > what is behind it. > > Any word on if this has been asked for in the past and being worked on for > the future?
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

You can overlay two of the same views one on top of the other. One with Shaded view and one without. Use Show contents in each view to determine which parts you want to have shown in each view and use align to align the views (unfortunately, this only works in one direction and you will have to eye-ball the other) K "John" wrote in message news:40fc1c6e_3@newsprd01... > I am using a Screen_2&.bmp texture to represent a fencing material. This is > nice in the modeling environment, and worthless in the drawing environment. > I know how to do fills in an IDW, but what would really be nice is a way to > show the textures in the IDW, especially the "see-thru" ones. Without this, > I can't show a part like a fence in a drawing without it completely obsuring > what is behind it. > > Any word on if this has been asked for in the past and being worked on for > the future? > > -- > > >
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

Karl, You and I both know this is a poor solution, but thanks for the option anyway. If I want to show a panel of the fencing that is in back, it doesn't respect the parts that are left visible in front of it, that are part of the other view. So I get continuous lines overlapping where they shouldn't even show. Additionally, when view contents change because of additions/deletions in the assembly, the "eyeballed" alignments go south. This reminds me of the workarounds and contortions I'm forced to go through because, after 9 releases, Autodesk Inventor still does not have TRUE overlayed alternate positions. This just gets worse and worse. It's embarassing. And wasting a lot of time. :( "Karl Maas" wrote in message news:40fcb15d_3@newsprd01... > You can overlay two of the same views one on top of the other. One with > Shaded view and one without. Use Show contents in each view to determine > which parts you want to have shown in each view and use align to align the > views (unfortunately, this only works in one direction and you will have to > eye-ball the other) > K > > "John" wrote in message news:40fc1c6e_3@newsprd01... > > I am using a Screen_2&.bmp texture to represent a fencing material. This > is > > nice in the modeling environment, and worthless in the drawing > environment. > > I know how to do fills in an IDW, but what would really be nice is a way > to > > show the textures in the IDW, especially the "see-thru" ones. Without > this, > > I can't show a part like a fence in a drawing without it completely > obsuring > > what is behind it. > > > > Any word on if this has been asked for in the past and being worked on for > > the future? > > > > -- > > > > > > > > >
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

So bottom line this is another area where we have no commitment to address and no viable solutions, correct?
Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

Check out the FAQ Kent posts weekly for the official wish list submittal URL. If you post it, it will be considered and evaluated. Implementation is another matter. John wrote: > So bottom line this is another area where we have no commitment to address > and no viable solutions, correct? > > -- Hal Gwin Mechanical Designer Xenogen W2K SP4 Dell Precision 650 Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon 1.5 GB DDR Quadro4 900 XGL nVidia 6.14.10.5214 w/registry update Dell UltraSharp 19" LCD

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report