Inventor General

Contributor
Mopower
Message 1 of 23 (337 Views)

New to CADD in general, need some advice please

337 Views, 22 Replies
08-17-2012 09:21 AM

Hi, I'm new to AutoCad. I have lots of  Adobe Photoshop and Google Sketchup experience and I also have 3 years of mechanical engineering college but did not learn AutoCad prior to dropping out 20 years ago.  I love inventing things and dream of making it big one day, but for now, I have a custom automotive fiberglass and plastic parts design and manufacturing company. I draw designs on photoshop and then pay someone to draw a model in Autodesk 3Ds Max. I use the model for scupting, measuring and marketing. I do all the  prototypes and moulds the old fasioned way.... After 20 years, now I'm very interested in learing to design parts on CAD and then having the molds or prototypes milled out on a CNC if possible...getting too old to do everything the hard way!  Can anyone help me with some advice as to which Cad Program would be the best for me? 

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 2 of 23 (325 Views)

Re: New to Autocad, need some advice!

08-17-2012 09:42 AM in reply to: Mopower

AutoCAD is a very different beast than Autodesk Inventor.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2010/New-to-Autocad/td-p/3584164

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Contributor
Mopower
Message 3 of 23 (321 Views)

08-17-2012 09:47 AM in reply to: JDMather

I know they are different but  can you give me a little more information please?  I was told that Inventor may be what I am looking for or possibly  Alias

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 4 of 23 (312 Views)

08-17-2012 09:56 AM in reply to: Mopower

Inventor is 3d based parametric modeling/assemblies,etc.... Autocad while it does do some 3d is not really meant for it at all. I basically consider Autocad 2d and Inventor 3d.

Having said that Inventor is the way to go for typical mechanical 3d parts.. If its mostly free-form surfaces,etc.. like you probably have then there are other programs that might be better suited for you.. Rhino/Alias,etc..

Frankly I believe you should get a demo of Inventor, get a demo of Alias, get a demo of Rhino, and a few more, etc. and really sit down and try each with your simple/typical parts... In my opinion you should be able to learn them just sitting there,running through the included tutorials,etc.. Enough to see what might work for you and what doesn't.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Down with IDW/DWG files..... Long live 3D PMI... Hurry it up already..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 5 of 23 (311 Views)

08-17-2012 09:57 AM in reply to: Mopower

These are expensive professional programs and deserve (require?) a professional level of preparation.

In my opinion it takes about 3 yrs of concentrated effort to learn on your own what it sounds to me like you want to do with the software.

Do you have around $10k USD for the software and training?  (that is one or the other, not both, and not including CAM software to generate CNC g-code)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Contributor
Mopower
Message 6 of 23 (296 Views)

08-17-2012 10:40 AM in reply to: JDMather

I don't mind the 3 years and I also don't mind the $10K. but I only want to learn one of the programs! The company that will do the CNC work should have the CAM software, all I need is to be able to provide the proper models/files they can work with.  What is "free form surfaces"  anyway?  I do mostly automotive exterior parts that have a lot of compound curves. I've played around with a couple of these programs and they seem too complicated for me to just "try them out and see which I like best", which is the advice I'm hearing.  I need to make an edjucated guess on which will be the most useful for my needs before I go to the expense to try to learn it. I tried to find a customer service help line from autodesk and could not find one.

*Pro
jletcher
Message 7 of 23 (280 Views)

08-17-2012 11:08 AM in reply to: Mopower

I would suggest having the Software companies come in and do a demo for you. Tell them what you do and the demo should be that.  Or they will show you things you don't care about. Depending on the shapes sometimes solid models can get you there.

I would also look into 3D printing for your proto-types Machines are not that expensive and you can do it at your place.

But just getting trails of the software and trying things may frustrate you. Getting them to demo it for you will give you a chance to see how hard it would be or how easy.

I would even supply them something to make just don't make it the hardest thing...

Good luck in your search....

James Letcher
2012 Factory Design Suite ( will not load 2013)
What happen to my Inventor :-(
Contributor
Mopower
Message 8 of 23 (277 Views)

08-17-2012 11:13 AM in reply to: jletcher

The parts we make are too large for a 3D printer, some of them 7' long although there are also smaller parts too. how do you go about getting a demo/sales guy to come to you??

*Pro
jletcher
Message 9 of 23 (275 Views)

08-17-2012 11:25 AM in reply to: Mopower

Find your reaseller for Autodesk, Solid Works, Solid Edge, Catia, Rino, Pro E Wildfire. You can find them by search online search like Solid works they have a section to find local resellers. You may get lucky and fid one reseller that sells them all.

And 7' is small.

I have acsess to a  14' x 14' 3D printer so 7' is nothing.

and a 20' x 20' foam mill..

Best of luck...............

James Letcher
2012 Factory Design Suite ( will not load 2013)
What happen to my Inventor :-(
Valued Mentor
stevec781
Message 10 of 23 (253 Views)

08-17-2012 12:44 PM in reply to: jletcher

Sounds liek you need free form and not much else so autocad and inventor are the wrong tools for you.  Have a look at Rhino, Key Creator, Ironcad and Spaceclaim.  If you want to produce 2D drawings as well then forget Rhino.  These are much cheaper and better for freeform push/pull style of modelling.  To see them in action just search for them on youtube.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube