Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New part identifier

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
340 Views, 3 Replies

New part identifier

When Inventor creates a new .ipt part file I am guessing that it stamps the file with a unique identifier that will not change even if the file is emailed or edited by another user on another computer. Does anybody know how I can access this file identity type information? I have found some information in iproperties but its not in enough detail.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You doing some design forensics?

Message 3 of 4
nmunro
in reply to: Anonymous

With a bit of vba programming. Get the Document object representing file, the InternalName property is a GUID that does not change.

https://c3mcad.com

Message 4 of 4
alewer
in reply to: nmunro

@nmunro wrote:

With a bit of vba programming. Get the Document object representing file, the InternalName property is a GUID that does not change.

Exactly. Emboczko, if you're unfamiliar with macros, the following should show a dialog displaying the active document's internal name:

Public Sub ShowInternalName()
  Dim oDocument As Inventor.Document
  'Make sure a document is open
  If ThisApplication.Documents.Count > 0 Then
    Set oDocument = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument
    MsgBox ("Internal Name: " & oDocument.InternalName)
  End If
End Sub

You will need to copy/paste this code into a VBA document or application project. This document will help you get started if you have trouble running the macro.

The internal name property is set on document creation. This means that if you save a copy of an existing document (part, assembly, presentation, or drawing), it will have the same internal name as the source. Only when you create a new document from a template will you get a new unique internal name.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report