Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New file dialog 2013

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
mrattray
1154 Views, 13 Replies

New file dialog 2013

I don't like the new new file dialog that ships with 2013. It's pretty and I can see how others would see it as an upgrade, but it opens slow on my machine. It takes about 3-5 seconds for it to open, a minor annoyance to be sure but, still an annoyance.

Are other people seeing a delay with it opening?

Can I still use the old perfectly good dialog?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
trumpy81
in reply to: mrattray

Mike, can you tell us how you are opening the file dialog please, there are many ways to get a file dialog open.

If you are simply clicking on the 'Open' button in the Ribbon or from the 'I' menu, then I am not seeing any delay in the dialog appearing at all. Ditto with the 'Projects' dialog.

Are you using Vault at all?

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 3 of 14
mrattray
in reply to: trumpy81

I'm talking about the create a new file dialog, not the open an existing file. The open dialog is fine, it opens in less then a second. I've tried the new file buttons under the ribbon, the quick launch? bar, the "I" menu, and pressing ctrl+n. It doesn't make any difference.

capture.jpg

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 14
trumpy81

I don't have any problems with the create file dialog either?

It opens in less than a second and I can click on any of the template folders and choose a template to use just as quickly.

It appears that you have some custom templates though.

Could they be causing the issue?

Maybe they have a larger than usual file size that is causing the dialog to slow down while the templates are read/checked for display?

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 5 of 14
mrattray
in reply to: trumpy81

That sounds like a legit theory, but my largest template is around 315k with the average closer to 200k.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 14
trumpy81

<--- Opens the window, throws that theory out .... Smiley Very Happy

Sorry mrattray, I don't have any idea what might cause the problem in that case. Have you tried a repair/install on Inventor?

Since it is not happening on my machine, that would seem to indicate a problem with yours.

Run all cleanup routines in Windows, clean the temp folder, check event viewer, make sure graphics drivers are updated and installed correctly, check for hard drive errors etc....

The usual Microsoft waltz in other words ... Smiley Very Happy

HTH

Regards
Andy M
Message 7 of 14

Hi Matt,

He was right. It could be a template loading issue. Do you have a too many of them. What happens if you remove the custom templates and initiate the new file dialog. Is it much faster ?

If its causing a lot of delay, you can switch your Inventor to the default file dialog as shown below.

Untitled.png

Looking forward to your reply.

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 8 of 14
gs
Observer

I have the same problem. Very long delay when clicking New file.

First I tried repair in control panel for Inventor. Then I reinstalled it.

The problem is still there..

Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2013 SP 1.1

Message 9 of 14
SBix26
in reply to: gs

Where are your templates located? Local machine or network server?

Message 10 of 14
brian.cranston

There is a huge penalty in 2013 when storing templates on the network.  For me, the NEW dialog box lags 3-5 seconds versus almost instant loading of a local hard drive template location.

(edited) I should add that Inventor 2012 doesn't suffer from this. It loads in almost the same time whether local or network.

-Brian

Message 11 of 14
gs
Observer

My templates are local. The delay is 15 sec.

I have also Inventor 2012 on my laptop - no problem.

Message 12 of 14
brian.cranston

What happens when you turn off Grouped by Type?  In the new file dialog, select the pulldown from the upper right corner, deselect the checkmark (assuming it's checked).

-Brian

Message 13 of 14

Sorry I got side tracked after your reply back when this thread was started and forgot all about it.

Vinod, I'm not sure what option here you're suggesting I change.

Capture.JPG

Sam/Brian, my templates are stored in a network location. I'll try to find time to test local templates later (I don't want to unload what I'm working on right now). I also didn't/don't have any problem with 2012. I tried the grouping option, but I didn't see any noticble change.

Gs, the delay I was and am now still seeing is around 3 seconds. I blame my problem on fancy interface changes trumping performance; your problem sounds like it may be more severe.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 14 of 14
kirscherj2

Is there an update on this issue? or Solution? I just have "Upgraded" to 2013 from 2011 and we are experiencing this same issue. Accept some of the time it freezes. It is so annoying that i've been reverting to using 2011 instead.

They are located on our network so if there is any changes we all get the updated file.

Please help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report