Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New User - Having trouble figuring something out - HELP!!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
ac_sheldon
247 Views, 4 Replies

New User - Having trouble figuring something out - HELP!!

I am just learning Inventor.  I am building a fairly simple assembly where there is a hinged door that uses a gas spring to help open it (think a car hatchback).  I have built the door frame and have imported the gas spring from McMaster-Carr.  I can put the spring together so that the piston moves in and out and the ends can pivot about the balls.

However, when I insert the gas spring into my asembly, I cannot make it work.  I am using an Insert contraint to insert the pivot balls into their corresponding mounting holes on the door frame.  But I keep getting "Inconsistent Constraint" errors.

I have tried to assemble this every way I can think of and nothing seems to work.

I'm sure this is just a stupid newb error but I cannot figure it out.

HELP!!!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: ac_sheldon

@ac_sheldon wrote:

I am just learning Inventor. 

An assembly file (*.iam) is nothing more than a list of hyperlinks and a record of assembly constraints and a bit more.
You must include the part files (*.ipt) with any assembly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5
ac_sheldon
in reply to: JDMather

Sorry - like I said - new user.

What is the best way to attach the file so you can see it?  There are bunch of part files in the assembly.

Message 4 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: ac_sheldon

How many of the parts are actually needed to demonstrate the behavior (likely not all).

Put in a folder and right click on the folder and select Send to Compressed (zipped) folder and then attach the resulting *.zip

or

File>Save Copy As>Pack and Go

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 5
ac_sheldon
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the reply.  I actually finally got it to work late last night.  I guess it was just a matter of selecting the correct part of the ball joint to connect to. 

I appreciate your response and now I know how to attach files!!  I'm sure this won't be my last question!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report