Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Software 2015, what about support for 2011?

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
warrentdo
1312 Views, 27 Replies

New Software 2015, what about support for 2011?

Hello All,

Well it’s coming up to that time of year again when the new software arrives, and it becomes the latest release.

It will become fully support with three previous releases. So 2015 (current) with 2014,2013 & 2012 will be supported.

2011 falls off the band waggon and is no longer supported but what does all this mean?

We are forced to use 2011 as it is the customer’s choice of software and we cannot do anything about this.

I have created a Autodesk support log and also Contacted our VAR but any help from you guy would be appreciated as always.

I will update this post with my findings.

Do we need to stop installing Windows updates? Does anyone remember the windows update that froze the dimensions in Inventor 2008? KB

Regards

Warren.

27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: warrentdo

Basically what that means is all the resellers and Autodesk wont support 2011 anymore. The service packs would still be available and you will still be available to ask questions in the Autodesk Community. But Autodesk doesn't do support so far back. Thats why they have the subscription option so you can always stay on the current version. 

When it comes to AutoCAD it wont be a problem when you upgrade because you can still downsave the files. But as soon as it comes to your Revit and Inventors then its a serious problem because you cannot downsave. I would recommend that your clients upgrade but that is just my opinion.

You will be able to work, its just when theres issues then you can come post it here 😃

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 3 of 28
stevec781

You can update to the last service pack and hope that most of the bugs have been fixed, and keep working as you do now, or you can upgrade and go through the pain of a new release.

My machine has windows 7 and 2013, and my business now has one less annual expense, and that's how it will stay.

Message 4 of 28
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: stevec781

HI Steve

<<We are forced to use 2011 as it is the customer’s choice of software and we cannot do anything about this.>>

Their clients are using 2011. Depending on which software, Upgrade wont be an option if they cant downsave.

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 5 of 28
warrentdo
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

I think what you mean is that they wont put any more development into 2011.

The VAR will support in some fasion.

I dont think Service packs will be available as if you look now they only have 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014.

When 2015 comes out they will drop 2011. I think I may download all the 2011.

We are on Subscription. We have to be as we are also running 2012, & 2013 seats and we dont want to take the risk of buying the software again becasue we have fallen off subs.

We are also on network licences so we cannot use 2015 or we will lose 2011.

Getting client to upgrade is not our call.

We have two main clients and both are hundred million pounds companies.

I will let you know what Autodesk say,

Regards,

Warren.

Message 6 of 28
JoAnn_Hogan

If your clients are hundred million pound companies. Why dont they upgrade? Instead of falling behind?

I am working for a VAR in SA and we dont support versions earlier than current and 3 versions back. But you can still receive help on AC for some errors.

Jo - Ann
Message 7 of 28
warrentdo

To implement any software in large organizations take an extreme amount of time and money and risk.

They cannot afford any down time at all so they replicated the current working environment with the new one to ensure complete conformity.

If it is stable now why would they bother to update to a newer version if they may encounter risk.

This is not about new version making them more productive, this is more about beeing stable and ensuring intergration with existing software.

If its not broken,....

Warren.

Message 8 of 28
JoAnn_Hogan

Ok I can see where they are coming from. Well keep me updated on Autodesk response. I would also like to know what they think

Jo - Ann
Message 9 of 28
stevec781

As far as I can see there is no ongoing development for 2011, just bug fixes, so most should be sorted out by now.

Work out how often you are re-buying the software by paying subs, and also work out how much you are paying for what I consider very minor annual upgrades that are far outweighed by new release and data migration problems.  If you were to just freeze your licenses where they are now, do you have any other clients that would need you to be on 2015.  This should be less of a problem because they will be able to open and convert your older files.

Or maybe you could just drop one license off your subs? 

Also consider that when you go off subs, you get emails offering discounts to come back, so getting current later is not as expensive if the timing is right.    I would think they make more money from recurring susb than one off sales, so they should be keen to negotiate to get you back.  You should also negotiate a discount anyway, say you have 5 seats, why should you pay the VAR portion of your subs 5 times, its not as if you would be getting 5 times as much help from them.

Message 10 of 28
pball

Just my two cents. While "don't fix if it isn't broken" is a good saying. Not fixing something for to long of a time is just inviting it to break. It's not a perfect example but if you don't do anything to a machine it will break down eventually and you'll probably lose more time than upgrading it every now and then.

As for you situation, try suggesting they upgrade to the second newest release. 2014 has been out a while and many issues have been fixed. So it's not as bad as jumping to the newest and most likely buggy version.
Message 11 of 28
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: pball

I think that is a good idea. Less issues to worry about. I wont suggest removing your subs though. It is going to cost you more when you eventually want to upgrade. Just remember your PC will need to be upgraded eventually and if you ever move over to windows 8 because 7 became the new DOS, then 2011 wont be compatible anymore. It will take users more time the learn the "New" software. For example if you put a AutoCAD 2014 in front of some one that has been working on 2008 for the past few years, he will be lost. Instead of just adapting to a small change here and there every year.

Jo - Ann
Message 12 of 28
warrentdo

We have no option. We have to stick on 2011. There is nothing that we can do about it apart from put things in place to make it easier.

Stop windows update. remove from the internet etc.

We have to put things in placce as we will lose the work if we dont.

Asking the client to upgrade is not a solutions as they will say we are working on it, and they are, in there own time.

Thay have a lot to test.

Meanwhile I have to get a system that can run and keep running with 2011.

Warren.

Message 13 of 28
warrentdo

Hello, Inventor 2011 does work with windows 8.1 with the service pack.

We often put on the lastest software and then the users run it in vanilla.

They dont like the change. the ribbon nearly had people leaving 🙂

Can anyone remember ever going on a whats new course?

Its a shame but if it cost money we dont get it, even if you can prove that it will make you ore money.

Warren.

Message 14 of 28
JoAnn_Hogan

You can merge a network licence and have all your versions on one PC. They can never remove your licence. You have paid for it. Try using the licence merge utility.

I am an ATI (Authorized Training Instructor) and I normally do customized training and upgrade training and my clients have been quite happy with it and it gets them comfortable with the software. So I would always recommend an update course. Too bad I am too far hay

Jo - Ann
Message 15 of 28
warrentdo

Hello Jo,

I'm not sure that you are not correct. I'm sure that you can only run the current software version plus three below.

So that when 2015 come out we can run 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012.

If we want to run 2011 we have to fill in a Additional Software Authorization Application and Approval Form.

Then it is in the hand of the god if they let you use it.

I suppose that once it is on your system you are ok but If we need another Lic file generated (by Autodesk) it wont have 2011 products on it.

Regards,

Warren.

Message 16 of 28
mrattray

I believe it's technically a violation of your license agreement to run more than 3 years back. Remember, you don't own Inventor; you license it.
This is a conversation you need to have with your VAR.
Perhaps if you point out to your client that they, too, will be in violation of their license agreement it will "light a fire". Large entities tend to be pretty scared of violating contracts.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 17 of 28
aaron

This is kind of off subject, but I am also a 2011 Inventor. And outside of questions on here and to a select few people, I am basically self taught. With that being said, where does one find these "service packs" what do they do (I assume they are updates?), do they really help and why doesn't autodesk software update like every other software out there? I am a mac guy so I am probably spolied. 

Message 18 of 28
mrattray
in reply to: aaron

Updates are found here: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/downloads#?rows=10&s...

Service packs are updates for Inventor. It's highly recommended to install the latest ones. I don't know why Inventor doesn't have an "auot-update". Perhaps you should post it in the Inventor IdeaStation (check that some else hasn't propsed it first). It's a good idea. I think us CAD guys are just used to dealing with downloading SP's and don't think about it much.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 19 of 28
stevec781
in reply to: mrattray

@mrattray wrote:
I believe it's technically a violation of your license agreement to run more than 3 years back. Remember, you don't own Inventor; you license it.
This is a conversation you need to have with your VAR.
Perhaps if you point out to your client that they, too, will be in violation of their license agreement it will "light a fire". Large entities tend to be pretty scared of violating contracts.

Only if you have upgraded.  If you dont install the upgrade then its ok to stay at what ever version you want and go off subs. 

But be carefull.  Once you registed a new version there is no going back in the LA terms.  The way to avoid that it to use the 30 day trial period for testing.

Message 20 of 28
warrentdo

I'm not sure your right. We can't go off subs as we have clients on other releases. You can't use the licences twice, one off subs and one on.

You can go back via a Additional Software Authorization Application and Approval Form. I don't really want to use a 30 day trial as 1, it would mean wipping all the machines as the software has already been on the machines under network licence (or reg hack) 2 it only gives us 30 days. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report