Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Inventor session opens when I open a new drawing

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
ChrisBorthwick
1466 Views, 17 Replies

New Inventor session opens when I open a new drawing

Every time I open a new drawing a new Inventor session starts up and the drawing is opened in there. It's ok if I go through file-open etc in a current Inventor session but I don't want to open drawings like that all the time. If I open 5 drawings at once they start up in 5 seperate Inventor sessions! I can't seem to find an option to change this, is it an inventor problem or windows?

Thanks!

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
scottph
in reply to: ChrisBorthwick

It does not work like that for me, all documents open in the running session.  So I asked around and the only suggestion I could get is to use the task manager to kill all Inventor and explorer sessions.  Restart explorer, then restart Inventor.  Inventor registers with explorer, and it might prompt a re-registration.

This might not help, but it's all I could come up with.  If I get anything else I'll let you know, though.

Message 3 of 18

Hi ChrisBorthwick,

It might help to tell others the version of Inventor and Windows you're using.

example:

Inventor 2013 - Service Pack 1.1

Windows 7 - Service Pack 1

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 18
blair
in reply to: ChrisBorthwick

The proper methodolgy is to start Inventor first, make sure that you are using the correct Project file, then select New and then the required drawing template.

It sounds like you are doing something else such as using Windows Explorer to navigate to where your drawing template is stored. If this is the case, then a new version of Inventor will open.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 18
t_fransman
in reply to: blair

Seems to be a new behavior in 2020, and it's really annoying. Would open from the double click in previous versions of Inventor all day in same session. Have been using inventor for 15 + years this is a new annoyance. The issue for me isn't opening a "new" drawing it's opening everything In double click in new sessions. Existing things. things I need to copy and paste leader text from etc. ..

Message 6 of 18
mcgyvr
in reply to: t_fransman

@t_fransman wrote:

Seems to be a new behavior in 2020, and it's really annoying. Would open from the double click in previous versions of Inventor all day in same session. Have been using inventor for 15 + years this is a new annoyance. 

@t_fransman  Not a new intended behavior.. My 2020 opens files from explorer in the same session/instance..

Have you tried this https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Opening...

Thats for ipt files.. If drawings aren't working correctly just adjust for idw files (or Inventor.DrawingDocument if looking at the registry settings)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 18
t_fransman
in reply to: mcgyvr

it is new for us here and pretty much across the board. Never had the issue before. The r click open with thing creates a duplicate entry. We tried that to get it to stop opening in read only mode all the time first. That was also annoying. See jpg attached/ 

Message 8 of 18
t_fransman

ddeexec Data [open("%1")] was set for all across the board. I think it has to do with the new read/only mode. Because I had to do a open with to get it not to open everything in read only mode for most users. And now it has multiple instances under open with. 

Message 9 of 18
mcgyvr

@t_fransman  Have you loaded all updates for Inventor 2020?

You can clear out the OpenWith by going here and removing the duplicates from the registry editor..

\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.idw\OpenWithList

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 10 of 18
t_fransman

yes all users have all current updates. May need more instructions on dup entries for the regedit. if possible.

Message 11 of 18
mcgyvr

@t_fransman wrote:

May need more instructions on dup entries for the regedit. if possible.

@t_fransman 

Open rgedit

Go to this location \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.idw\OpenWithList

Delete all keys where the value data is "Inventor.exe". (heck you can delete any a,b,c,d,e.... keys)

Close regedit

repeat the "Open With" process to set the correct "Inventor.exe" program and select "always open with"

Should look like this when done basically..

regidw.PNG

Message 12 of 18
t_fransman

We tried this and the "open with" r click menu persists even after a re-boot to have two instances. ugh

Message 13 of 18
mcgyvr

@t_fransman wrote:

We tried this and the "open with" r click menu persists even after a re-boot to have two instances. ugh

@t_fransman  Show me an image of your registry settings just like I posted.

You are making the registry delete/change for "idw" files and looking at the right click menu for an idw file right?

Message 14 of 18
johnsonshiue

Hi! This behavior may not be dictated by application like Inventor. It is somewhat if not totally, by Windows. This has something to do with "dde" or "ddeexec."

Here is what I found. Launch Regedit.exe and go to the following keys.

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Inventor.PartDocument\shell\open\command

Default = "C:\PROGRA~1\Autodesk\IN2AA9~1\Bin\Inventor.exe /dde"     (make sure double quotes are removed)

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Inventor.PartDocument\shell\open\ddeexec

Default = "[open("%1")]"                         (make sure double quotes outside of the brackets are removed)

You will need to also check "Inventor.AssemblyDocument" and "Inventor.DrawingDocument" additionally.

Try it out and see if it works.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 15 of 18
t_fransman
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks, Johnson Shiue

But those settings are things I've already verified. The problem still persists on several of our work stations. Any other ideas??? Also I made an error I am using 2021 windows 10 and all available update are installed. My mistake. 

Message 16 of 18
johnsonshiue

Hi! I am sorry I am running out of ideas also. Try something and see if it helps.

1) Right-click on the Inventor 2021 desktop icon -> Properties -> Compatibility -> check "Run as Admin."

2) Start Inventor.

3) Close Inventor and uncheck the option on Step1.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 17 of 18
t_fransman
in reply to: johnsonshiue

johnsonshiue

nope didn't work. Ugh

Message 18 of 18
t_fransman

Yes i tried that. I then figured out if you go "open with" when it's doing it wrong. Ya just have duplicates of the program in the "open with" you kill those it fixes it unless you use view in window, which i liked the Inventor light view only thing however, this problem makes me not want to use it because as soon as i do it creates a multiple instance in " open with" and always uses the new instance. So I don't view in window anymore, problem solved ( sort of ugh ) >? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report