Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New File Icon vs pull down

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
CelticDesignServices
541 Views, 8 Replies

New File Icon vs pull down

Something I'd like to see fixed (or find out how) is when using the start New File icon, if you select the icon itself, you are directed to the templates folder of the active project, but if you select the "Pull Down" arror next to the icon, you are taken to the Inventor Standard default templates which are typically not used.

Icon.jpg

I see numerous users unknowingly selecting those default templates and not noticing until they've started entering dims, etc. They get very upset at having to make sure they select the icon and question as to why it would be different.

Same deal if one is to select the Inventor Icon in the far left upper corner (this is more common than the users selecting the pull down) and then select "New", again, they are shuttled to the default templates and not the associated project file templates...why?

Or is there a way I can set this that I just haven't found yet?

I deal with numerous clients at any given time and thus change project files accordingly so I can utilize the client's custom templates for drawings, parts, etc.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Hi CelticDesignServices,

When you use the "Pull Down" Inventor uses the template found at the root of your template directory called Standard.xxx, such as Standard.idw

You can open your customized template, and use the Save As > Save Copy As Template option to save it as Standard.idw (replacing the existing Standard.idw template). Then when ever you use the"Pull Down", you will start off with the custom template.

Keep in mind that if you don't have a file called Standard.idw in the root of your template directory and you use the pull down list, then Inventor defaults to a template that is hardcoded within in the program (if I recall correctly).

It would be nice to be able to configure this menu to point to the custom templates of your choice via an application option, so that copies of templates aren't required though.

Maybe create a request?:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/idb-p/v1232

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 9

@CelticDesignServices wrote:

... you are taken to the Inventor Standard default templates which are typically not used.

In other words,  you can set this (or rather your default templates) as the ones you do typically use (if one of each type).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 9

Thanks Curtis, That's what I was a bit afraid of. I never overwrite the default Standard template files for safety sake, never know when you might need to fall back to those originals. So I always create a custom template based on needs either for my clients (using their standards and logos) or my own (my standards and my company logo). If I recall, there was a thread on here that proved this point as being a good practice as they had the system reset itself and thus wiped out all their custom settings they had saved in the Standard template back to the software defaults. They had to recreate those templates with their settings each time this "reset" happened. I will log a request on the forum you linked, BTW - What a great idea that was on behalf of Autodesk!

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Message 5 of 9

Even if you  screw with the Standard.xxx, Ctrl+Shift+"New Icon" will start an unmodified file / as installed file.

PDSU 2016
Message 6 of 9

If you're worried about losing the original Standard templates, just save a backup of them in another folder, or rename them to OriginalStandard or something.

I have always re-purposed the Standard templates for my own needs, and it works really well.

As far as the Standard templates being reset, in 7 years of using Inventor, I have NEVER had that happen, and I have never even heard of it happening until that thread you mentioned.  I don't know why others have seen that happen recently, but unless that's a new "feature" of 2013, I don't think there's much risk of that happening to you.

Edit:  That being said, I think the idea of having an option to control which template files are opened by the New dropdowns is a great idea, and I will give it my support.

-cwhetten

Inventor 2012

Message 7 of 9

This has been requested in the Idea Station forum, please go there and give a "Kudos"....thanks

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 8 of 9

I agree, I have never seen that happen either and I've been on Inventor since Release 3.

The issue isn't really the Standards template being overwritten per sey, but rather in my case I have a lot of different templates all with different settings and standards based on the client's preferences and even their own title blocks, etc. so it would be really nice to have these templates all set according to whatever project file I have active.

Basically, if I'm working for company XYZ, I'm active in their project file, I'd love Inventor to automatically go to their specific templates when I create a new file, regardless of which New icon I select and then when I change project files and start working for company ABC, I get their templates to show up when I select the create New icon, etc.

It just seems like it would be common sense to me.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 9 of 9

@CelticDesignServices wrote:

Basically, if I'm working for company XYZ, I'm active in their project file, I'd love Inventor to automatically go to their specific templates when I create a new file, regardless of which New icon I select and then when I change project files and start working for company ABC, I get their templates to show up when I select the create New icon, etc.

What you've described can be done now. In the project itself, there is a setting under the "Folder options" for templates, and each project can have its own location.

For example, let's say you work for customer A, B and C.

You create folders for each customer templates, such as

\TemplatesA

\TemplatesB

\TemplatesC

In project A, set your templates folder to TemplatesA, project B is set to TemplatesB etc.etc...

As long as the files within these folders are called standard.ipt, standard.idw etc. it will work as you've requested.

As soon as you change the active project file to a different one,  the relevant templates will be active.

For your info, the same applies to styles and material libraries too, so different materials, colours, different dimension styles can be associated with a specific project file.

Hope this is useful

Rory

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report