Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network File-Server Specifications ??

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
212 Views, 5 Replies

Network File-Server Specifications ??

Our company is buying a new Network file server. We now have two seats of Inventor and will eventually have up to 10 seats of Inventor (or other...?) 3D CAD software. I want to put my two cents in with the VP because I am sure the company specifying the new system knows little about what Inventor requires. Is the amount of RAM important to a server? Is 1 Gig enough? The new machine has SCSI drives which I think is good. The processor is a single 2.4 Ghz. Any Suggestions? What about NIC card speed? Is Gigabit a must? We use Windows 2000. Thanks, Mike
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

The server is only one aspect of your network. Don't forget about switches/routers/hubs etc. Hubs are only half duplex so you ideally would be hooked to a switch. Ideally all the PCs would be on the same vlan so you don't have to go through a router. http://net21.ucdavis.edu/newvlan.htm

On your server make sure you can expand the amount of ram and try the 1GB. SCSI is good but you really want raid, sometimes bad things happen..... Gigabit isn't a must, consider that some SCSI drives still only transfer data at 80 mbit. If you have a 320 mbit SCSI drive (which I don't think will ever xfer at 320 mbit) in a RAID array then you may want gigabit or multiple load balanced NIC cards. You haven't mentioned how many people are actually accessing the server. If it is only 10 users a single 100 mbit (about 30-70 mbit actual xfer rate) NIC might be enough. As for NIC cards I've never seen a bad Intel one, the 3Com stuff doesn't seem to be very good. At least not in the 3c905b series.

If you are in a large company with a lot of servers then network appliances are a lot easier for your IS dept. to deploy. They are basically a dedicated high performance file server that doesn't have an OS that needs maintained.

Hope this helps.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

I'll agree about the Network Appliances as a good
way to store data for you CAD department.  IT guys love them because
they're easy to maintain, hardly breakdown, and they make the need for tape
backup go away.  I've seen a variety of CAD deployments use Net
Apps and they love it.

Joe Bartels
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

I hope my boss doesn't see this thread. I convinced
him that Gigabit is a must? Shows you how much I know. We use IV
in Semi-Isolated Projects. Dell Server with 1GB RAM; 2.4 GHZ XENON; Dual
Raid SCSI with WIN2k3 server software is here, just needs to be installed! Any
takers?

We also have a Gigabit switch (router, hub - not
sure; I'm not an IT guy), Anyone know, if we need to run new Ethernet
cables?

I believe we have 5e rated cables right
now.

Oh yeah and than I have to move all the IV
files to the Server and change the IPJ files. Backup, baby!!

TIA,

Peter

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

I'll agree about the Network Appliances as a good
way to store data for you CAD department.  IT guys love them because
they're easy to maintain, hardly breakdown, and they make the need for tape
backup go away.  I've seen a variety of CAD deployments use Net
Apps and they love it.

Joe Bartels
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

5e is good for 100 mbit.
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

How about 5e for Gigabit? Or do we need 6e to take
advantage of it's full potential.

TIA !

Peter

cont'd from post: Network File-Server
Specifications  7/30/03 12:44pm

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
5e
is good for 100 mbit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report