Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to fill in surface cutout of imported file

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
bcrowell
488 Views, 2 Replies

Need to fill in surface cutout of imported file

The file is a proprietary customer file, so I can't attach it here- my apologies in advance.  I am limited to screen captures.

The customer part has cutouts in it in compound curves, and I need to model a punch and die to send to another vendor (without the cutouts).  It is an imported component, so it can go into construction, but I have not yet found any options that seem to help solve the issue of filling in this area in a natural way.  

I can get boundary patches to work, but they are nowhere near a Class A surface match to the existing data, which isn't itself all Class A.

I have lofted curves and gotten close, but they still do not line up exactly, and for some reason they won't accept all of my guide rails.

Pictures in the attached files show the file with the holes, and a grid I created and have tried multiple loft and patch strategies with.

If you have any other suggestions I am all ears.  My end result needs to be flawless enough to send out to become tooling, and thus far an acceptable solution has eluded me.

Thank you!

INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: bcrowell

You might be able to Extract Loop (untrim) and thereby retrieve the original generating geometry.

Extract Loop.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
bcrowell
in reply to: JDMather

This is what I got for Extract Loop.  It doesn't look like it is giving me more than I can get with just projecting geometry as it still leaves the void mostly untouched.  I haven't used the command before, though, and am not incredibly familiar with the Construction/ Repair environment, so I could be missing the finer nuances of whatever additional information I now have to work with.

INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report