Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with combining Revolve and Coil.

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Broomanyollo
1424 Views, 10 Replies

Need help with combining Revolve and Coil.

Hi everyone,

I am very new to Inventor and need some experienced opinion on the problem that I am facing with the following idea:

1.png

Basically I have this column created with revolve and I would like to place these grooves on it like on the following example created with Coil:

2.png

I would like to preserve the number of grooves at the base and for them to "compress" accordingly at the narrow middle section of the first column. I tried accomplishing this by creating a new 2D sketch at the base of the column, but it wouldn't let me edit the base circle for the grooves to become "coilable" if you know what I mean. What am I doing wrong and is this the correct way of attempting to implement this idea?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: Broomanyollo

Something like one of these images?

Helix.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 11
PaulMunford

Create a coil in a 3D sketch and then use 'project curves' to project it onto your surface. Use this curve to create your features.

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 4 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: PaulMunford

I prefer to use a Coil Surface to create the curve as much easier to edit.

See attached example.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 11
Broomanyollo
in reply to: JDMather

Hi again,

I tried implementing your suggestion today, but I run into "axis intersects profile" error when trying to coil round that column. Any advice? Thanks.

Message 6 of 11
JDMather

@Broomanyollo wrote:

... Any advice? 

Attach your *.ipt file here.

Message 7 of 11
Broomanyollo

Also, do you think Inventor is the best software for this sort of geometry as it honestly feels quite unintuitive when creating such features?

Message 8 of 11
JDMather

iProperties would seem to indicate that you have not installed Service Packs 1 and 2 and Update 3.

Service Packs.PNG

You are missing a dimension and constraint in Sketch1?

Missing Dimension.PNG

Yet when I add the missing dimension - it is perfect!  What happened to the missing dimension?

Perfect.PNG

For Sketch2 I would change the circle to Construction linetype and I would create a construction line to constrain the normal line at the midpoint.

Logical Midpoint.png

Message 9 of 11
JDMather

Going back to your Sketch1 - I do not see a logical reason for using a Spline in place of a simple Arc?

The difference between the two would be less than the thickness of a sheet of paper?

Using this logic - attached is my Sketch1.

Note: No repeated dimensions.

Note:  In my Sketch2 the Projected construction line and the normal line to midpoint (turn off Visibility of Sketch1 to see).

I am not sure how this would be done any more logically or "intuitively" in any other CAD program?

Message 10 of 11
JDMather

Once the parametric coil geometry is created - it is easy to get the 3D intersection curve for Sweep path.

Message 11 of 11
Broomanyollo

On an unrelated note:

Do you think that a poligon-based cad (with the usual Inventor style parametric modelling + Mudbox-style functionality) is the future? I'd really love to see something like that released. After all if you cram enough poligons into a model it shouldn't matter if they are really poligons, right?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report