Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with Constraining a sub assembly to a ipt

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
ady-kelly
344 Views, 12 Replies

Need help with Constraining a sub assembly to a ipt

hi there,

i am pretty new to inventor i am using inventor pro 2013, i am having difficultly with constraining a sub assembly to a ipt. the ipt is not at right angles to the sub assembly. i cannot find away to make them constrain together hoping someone could help me out thanks guys/girls. i have included the file if someone could help that would be great.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: ady-kelly

An assembly file (*.iam) is only a list of hyperlinks to the part files (*.ipt) and a record of assembly constraints (and a bit more).

You must include the part files.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 13
ady-kelly

sorry about that.

Message 4 of 13
ady-kelly

last ipt file

Message 5 of 13
ady-kelly

guessing will need the sub assembly aswell.

Message 6 of 13
JDMather

What happens if you use Mate or Mate-Flush?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 13
ady-kelly

because i have never tried to constrain anything in a assembly that is not a flat surface or at right angles to each other. i cannot get it to mate or mate flush properly. i can get the one side to mate but the other side will not move to the other face as they are not parallel to each other. 

Message 8 of 13
johnsonshiue

Hi! Could you use a picture to explain the intended constraint pair? There are many faces not at right angle. But, I don't know which pair of faces you would like to constrain.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 13
ady-kelly

hope this helps clear everthing up its not the best but i done it quick for you thank you

Message 10 of 13
johnsonshiue

Hi! I see the issue now. This is because the cut faces on the U-shape are not co-planar. As a result, if you mate the bracket to one of the cut faces on the U-shape, it will not work for other faces. There is nothing wrong with the constraint behavior because the mate cannot be fulfilled.

To resolve the issue, you need to change the U-shape part. You can do one of the followings.

1) Create a workplane plane by picking two parallel edges on the U-shape.

Or 2) Use Extrusion Cut feature to force the side faces to be co-planar.

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I wouldn't change the geometry of the part if it accurately reflects the true part.

Use some other technique (I don't have the assembly open right now - but I'm thinking edge lines to face or create a construction plane using edge lines... )

Also, it looks like you are on SP0 - I recommend you install the Service Packs.

Message 12 of 13
ady-kelly

i cannot change the u shaped part as this is what the part must be. i have tried faces on to edges and it didnt work correctly for me

Message 13 of 13
johnsonshiue

Hi! Could you take a look at the attached assembly and see if it is close to what you want to do? The issue here is that the side faces on the U-shape part have non-coplanar edges. I am not sure which pair of edges you would like to create a workplane on.

Without changing the U-shape part, I am nto sure how you are going to mate a flat face (bracket) to the side faces with non-coplanar edges.

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report