Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help finding the right Autodesk software combination

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
fxmech
320 Views, 5 Replies

Need help finding the right Autodesk software combination

I need help figuring out what Autodesk software I need to do the following:

1) Design mechanical parts and assemblies (Am familiar with inventor and it works great for me)

2) Import OBJ files and STL files

3) bolean out features from the STL or OBj files to accomodate my 3D model designs.

4) Export modified Obj or STl as an STL for 3D printing

We  are doing more and more 3D printing and need the most straight forward approach to integrate designs (probably done in MAYA, 3DSmax, or Zbrush) with my designs (currently use Ashlar graphite (2D) but need to move into 3D)

Ive downloaded the inventor trial in the past and feel comfortable with the 3D design process.

Thanks

www.legacyefx.com
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Cadmanto
in reply to: fxmech

Never used Inventor to create printable stl files, but I am sure it would work just fine.

If you are using Inventor, are you thinking there is something better that would create the stl files more effectively?

I used to use Solidworks at the last place I worked and we created 3D printable models exporting out stl files and importing those

into a software called Catalyst where the model was manipulated and multiplied on the plate.

Have you talked to your VAR about this?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 6
fxmech
in reply to: Cadmanto

I think inventor is fine to generate atlas but I don't think it can take a pewee costing obj or stl and Boolean out space to accommodate a part designed in inventor...

David Covarrubias
Animatronic Effects Designer
Legacy Effects
www.legacyefx.com
e: fxmech@cammotion.net
c: (805) 231-6654
www.legacyefx.com
Message 4 of 6
fxmech

OK lets try it again without the spellchecker...
I think inventor is fine to generate stls but I don't think it can take a pre existing obj or stl and Boolean out space to accommodate a part design in inventor...
www.legacyefx.com
Message 5 of 6
blair

Probably need a combo of Fusion for the OBJ and Inventor for the rest. If you go with the Design Suite you can also add some rendering capacity as well.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 6
JDMather

If you are on subscription you can download the MeshEnabler add-in.

This add-in will convert stl to editable solids.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report