Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NPS Threads

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
KevinPinks7697
3546 Views, 5 Replies

NPS Threads

How do I represent NPS threads (not NPT) in IV?
Thx
Kev
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Kevin,

-First we need the thread specifications for NPS.
-Close Inventor
-Edit Thread.xls in your Design Data directory. You could RMB on the tabname in Excel and Move or Copy. We have two formats. Parallel(ANSI Unified) or Tapered(NPT). Choose the one that you are creating. Each row of information in Thread.xls after row three in Thread.xls is a thread specification.
-Enter the NPT thread specifications
- Launch Inventor and now you should see NPS in Thread and tapped hole feature

Regards
shekar

Message 3 of 6

Can some one share a nps data if you have done this?

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 4 of 6
cdmorris11
in reply to: CAD-One

If anyone has an updated Thread.xls that includes a tab for NPSM threads can you post it here or send it to me? NPSM is American National straight pipe thread for mechanical joints.

Message 5 of 6

Hi,

I may be making a bigger deal out of this than needed; but, I'd like to make sure I am right should I pass the information along.

I have opened the thread.xls spreadsheet, created a new tab by copying the NPT tab and renaming as NPS. I then changed the name (cells B/C-1) to NPS. For 1" pipe I changed the overall external, external to 4", the taper angle to 0 and the useful thread length to 6. (There was some trial an error trying to get the thread feature to work properly on the pipe nipple I created before I arrived at these values.)

It would be helpful if someone could define which values in the NPT worksheet should be changed to make Inventor properly process the information. At the present time I am only interested in 1" pipe.

(If it helps, I am trying to create a tank nipple with tapered threads on one end and straight (non-tapered) threads on the other. (The longer thread length is 4".)

The main confusion that I am having concerns which data from this table is important for the 1" straight thread. I can provide more details if it would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jeff

Message 6 of 6
SBix26
in reply to: Jeff10

Be sure you also change A1 and D1.  A1, as best I can tell, codes what sort of thread is being described.  Based purely on deduction from the various tabs, the first character is the units, either I (inch) or M (millimeter), and the second character is the type of thread. I see T (for tapered, I suppose) and P and Q for straight threads.  Seems that the various straight pipe threads are designated Q, so I think your A1 should be "IQ".  D1 is the sort order, and definitely should not have the same number as any other sheet.

Hope that helps get you there.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2017 R3
Vault Basic 2017.0.1
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
Inventor Certified Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums