Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My inventor will crash when I use DA to copy files with new name

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
shawnyu
476 Views, 6 Replies

My inventor will crash when I use DA to copy files with new name

Hi, there,

I have no this problem for version before Inventor 2013, just start from this lates version.

I models a ballet bar assy in 2'6" width with derived sketch, then I used DA to copy all the files with new name in 4'. After that, I tried to open the new files, it crashed itself, no matter I open a part or assemble.

But if I changed the derived sketch name back to its original, everything is fine for new files.

Is it somebody can tell me what happens? it bothers me for quite a while and I asked SolidCAD people to help, but so far, no solution.

I attahced the zip file, try it. If it crashes, just change file:

BALLET BAR 4ft_SKETCH

to:

BALLET BAR 2ft-6in_SKETCH

everything is fine then.

Thank you!

Shawn

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Cadmanto
in reply to: shawnyu

Shawn,

Do you own Vault?  If so try doing a copy design.

Another thought is try calling up the file and doing a file>save as.

My only other thought is maybe you have a bad load of design assistant.  Do you have the latest SP loaded of all the software you are using?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 7
rhasell

Tried it, same issue, so it's not something on your machine.

I would guess a bad build somewhere.

I did not have the time to analyse the parts, if I do, I will post feedback.

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 4 of 7
shawnyu
in reply to: Cadmanto

Hi, Scott,

Thank you very much for your reply.

We donot have Vault, If yes, I would prefer doing COPY from Vault, it will be more easy.

I have SP1 of Inventor 2013. I tested many models I build up in the same way, and have same problem. So I have to use COPY and then REPLACE. This way, I could not change the dimension in the Derived Sketch, otherwise, the original model will be changed.

The thing is we have the power tool in the previous version, but start 2013, I lost it. I believe there is something wrong on my system, so far, I did not see much problem for the DA from other user in GROUP DISCUSSION.

Take care!

Shawn

Message 5 of 7
shawnyu
in reply to: rhasell

Thank you, Reg,

I used DA to build up models started from Inventor 2010, the same way I did for this model, never have trouble before, It happens from 2013.

DA is a really powerful tool to copy files. But, for me now, it is not as good as before.

Shawn

Autodesk Product Design Suite Premium 2013 sp1.1
Intel(R) Xeon(R) (W3565@3.19GHz)
Windows 7x64 (Professional)
12GB Ram
Nvidia Quadro FX1800  (768M - ver8.17.12.9670)

Message 6 of 7
shawnyu

Now I figured out what wrong for my model, I should pick the drive style "Maintain each solid as a solid body", instead of "Single solid body merging out seams between planar faces", to create new parts. Nothting wrong with DA.

Usually, I pick "Maintain each solid as a solid body" when deriving parts before, but from 2013, sometime, the system is slow because of the memory of each single parts. So I tried picking "Single solid body merging out seams between planar faces" for memory save, which is causing the unproper modeling.

Thank you, guys, hope it helps for the user with the same issue.

Shawn

Message 7 of 7
Yijiang.Cai

Many thanks you to report this issue! And it is reproducible, and has been logged as 1480365 in our system. 

The workaround you provided really works fineSmiley Happy

Thanks,
River Cai

Inventor Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Email: River-Yijiang.Cai@autodesk.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report