Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple screens

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
iUser
3617 Views, 18 Replies

Multiple screens

Hi there,

I have a problem using multiple screens on Inventor which I find very strange, is there a possible way to get Inventor to work on two screens without dragging inventor bigger over both screens? And I do not want to run two Inventor programs at the same time. This is such a simple function and was very dissapointed that Inventor doesnt seem to support this. Please somebody help!? 

Kind regards,

iUser

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
machiel.veldkamp
in reply to: iUser

No. However I use dislpayfusion which lets you to span Inventor (or any other program) on the screens. 
I think its neat. 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Thats very dissapointing to hear, I hope Autodesk adds this simple function to one of the update, or even create an add-on. Would display fusion work properly if you have two different size screens? 

Message 4 of 19
machiel.veldkamp

I would advise a setup with two the same sized screens

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

I would advise two the same screenssize sized screens.
😄

Thanks I will try this. I have a question regarding DisplayFusion. If you stretch Inventor over both screens, and you using DisplayFusion, does your second window snap to the sides on the second monitor in Windows 7 (Hope this question makes sense)?

I also need to give the engineer whom I work with 5 reasons why a second monitor will be of an advatage using Inventor? Any info / advice will be much appreciated?

Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 19
pball

Well my coworkers and I are fighting for second monitors and here are some reasons we have.

We will print less because we could reference a drawing beside what we are currently working on. It will save time as we don't have to switch between two programs or windows constantly. The cost of an average monitor will easily be offset by the engineering time it saves.

No quite five but we feel they are good arguments.
Message 8 of 19
LT.Rusty
in reply to: pball

I've got two monitors, both at work and at home.

I don't try to span Inventor across two screens, though.  I keep it planted solidly on my right-hand screen.  I do very frequently run a second session of Inventor on my left-hand monitor, though, so that I can pull dimensions off of other parts, etc.  It's also very handy for keeping a PDF drawing or other reference material up, or for editing an Excel file from which you're pulling parameters.  I use it a lot with getting part data from our internal supply database.  Email, of course.  Of course, you can move plenty of Inventor's windows and dialog boxes over to the second monitor - Content Center, particularly - which leaves your view wide open to see what you're working with.

All sorts of things to do with the second monitor that don't just involve directly spreading Inventor across two screens.  I'd actually hate to use it that way, I think - having the split right in the middle of the screen would get really annoying, really quickly, for me.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 9 of 19
machiel.veldkamp
in reply to: LT.Rusty

I have two 24"screens with inventor running on one of the screens, two inventors on both or spanned. But when I do span them, I have two separate windows. The model on the left and the idw on the right.

I don't like one view on a spanned screen. I almost never do that.

Machiel Veldkamp

I second what LT.Rusty said.  I found two monitors at work to be so incredibly useful that I had to get the same setup at home.

We do a lot of parametrically driven modeling, so I have placed my parameters editor on the second monitor, as well as my assembly / feature tree (browser) to free up modeling space.  We also use vault, so it is invaluable to have vault open on one screen with Inventor on the other.  Or, even if you don't use vault, you can have windows explorer open to your project workspace so you can quickly browse your files.

I also display reference drawings (usually PDF, since I don't like spanning Inventor across both monitors) on the other screen so I don't have to print one or constantly switch windows.

If you are learning how to do something in Inventor (or troubleshooting), then you can have a tutorial or the help documentation open on one screen while working in Inventor on the other.  It's also useful if you are doing any programming--I keep the API reference documentation and VBA object browser open on the second monitor.

I would say that dual monitors are a MUST for CAD operators these days.  And for 3D CAD operators, a 3D controller is also invaluable.

A second high-resolution monitor may seem like a luxury to those who have never used one, but once you try it, it's really a no-brainer.  In fact, our company has seen the light and decided that everyone who wants one gets a second monitor--not just designers, but project managers, administrative assistants, management, accounting, everyone.  The benefits to productivity are immediately obvious.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 11 of 19
hosford

I use 2 monitors, never spanning both with any program.
there was in the past separate memory for each monitor.
if you can live with the gap in your display it could be interesting to test the performance using one screen vs spanning both.
many times I take a screen shot of what I want to reference while modeling, image on left, model on right.
Thaddeus Hosford
NUC9i9QNX i9-9980HK, Win 10 Pro 64
Nvidia GTX 1650
Inventor 2021
Message 12 of 19
JDMather
in reply to: hosford

Two CPUs here, 3 monitors.

Get other work done while Inventor is trying to figure out how to Cancel out of an impossible Loft, Shell or Sweep.  Smiley Very Happy

Got to have Excel and of course http://forums.autodesk.com up too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 13 of 19
iUser

Thanks for everyones input, going to try and convince the engineer above me that we need to start using multiple screens. Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 19
iUser

Hi Guys,

I have posted a new idea for Inventor to optimize their software to accomodate multiple screens, please vote!!

Thanks!

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/dual-monitor-support-for-inventor-2016/idi-p/5495...

Message 15 of 19
CadUser46

This has been a bug bear of mine for a while. Really wish you could float the graphics window same as browser etc so only using one Inventor session. 

And I echo others comments. Dual screen is a no brainier. The time you won't spend resizing applications will pay for itself for joe average in two weeks if not less. Realistically if you have a burden rate of $80-100 p\h I'll bet you spend at least an hour a week resizing and changing between apps (because some people insist on working full screen) so a monitor might be $150-250. 

Second cheapest productivity you can buy after spaceball. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2010 Certified Professional
Currently using 2023 Pro
Message 16 of 19
iUser
in reply to: hosford

Hi Guys,

I have created a new post with all the "dual monitor support" ideas and have contacted the employee that accepted this idea to get an estimate as to when we can see this idea implemented. Please vote for this link:

Multiple Windows per Session and dual monitor support Inventor 2017

Message 17 of 19
LT.Rusty

Dual monitors?

That's so 2013.

I've got 3 monitors now at home, something like 135 degrees of glorious LCD in front of my face.  I keep finding deals I just can't pass up.  I almost added a 4th one last weekend: Best Buy had one of those ultra-wide curved monitors in an open box, and I could have gotten it for like $199.  

Still not sure why I didn't get it, actually.  That could have gone in the center above my main monitor ... 

Rusty

EESignature

Message 18 of 19
iUser
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Hahaha.. Well dual monitor support.. Multiple monitor support.. Whatever you want to call it.. As long as Inventor supports more than one monitor - would be a great step forward. After that I believe the programming would be easy to just keep adding monitors as you go along (especially for those with monitor addictions @LT.Rusty - dont blame you though, I would do the same if my company saw the benefit). 

Message 19 of 19
DRoam

Hey iUser, it might be a good idea to mark your Post #14 (this one) as the Solution, so that anyone who comes across this thread can vote for your Idea.

I wouldn't use the one in your Post #16 because Autodesk merged it with your original, so it redirects to the one in Post #14 anyway.

Just a suggestion Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report