Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple LODs in an Assembly

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
AnchorChain
275 Views, 5 Replies

Multiple LODs in an Assembly

I tried to find an answer to my question by searching but didn't see anything if it's there.

I have a rather large assembly that has (4) LODs that were created by Inventor.  I also created one LOD of my own.  Can I delete the (4) LODs that Inventor created as long as they are not used anywhere such as a drawing?  Will deleting these LODs reduce the file size and RAM required to open/manipulate this assembly?

While we're on the subject, why does Inventor create LODs by itself?  From my research on LODs it seems it's because something was suppressed when I chose to save the file creating an LOD.  Is this how it works?

Thanks,

Mechanical Engineer
Inventor 2014 Ultimate
Windows 8 Pro
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Cadmanto
in reply to: AnchorChain

Yes, you can delete those LOD's as long as the criteria you stated is not a factor.

Deleting them effect the file size?  Interesting question.  Part of me says it wont, but the other part says, with the whole expressed purpose of LOD's being to take parts out of memory that does effect the files size then yes it would.  I guess depending on the LOD you created what that does (how much is suppressed) would speak to it.  I guess the true answer to your question will be when you do it, check the file size and see if it is effected.

LOD's are created anytime you suppress components in your assembly.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 6
AnchorChain

So I deleted the Inventor created LODs and it did reduce the file size by about 1 MB.  For an assembly that about 15.5 MB a 1 MB reduction is not bad.

Thanks,

Mechanical Engineer
Inventor 2014 Ultimate
Windows 8 Pro
Message 4 of 6
Cadmanto

Ok, that is good to know.

So is this issue resolved?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 6
AnchorChain

I'm still curious to know exactly why Inventor creates its own LODs.  Can this feature be turned off?

Thanks,

Mechanical Engineer
Inventor 2014 Ultimate
Windows 8 Pro
Message 6 of 6
Cadmanto

Why Inventor creates them I explained in my first posting, but here is a thread I started about two years ago you might find interesting.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Disable-Level-of-Detail/td-p/3376691

I also created an idea that you might want to cast your kudo vote for.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Eliminate-LOD-s/idi-p/3795310

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report