Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi body materials

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
traxxasman
2319 Views, 10 Replies

Multi body materials

Are there any plans in the works for multi body materials in later releases of Inventor? Or, some kind of add-on for Inventor 2010? Solidworks 2010 can do this and it would be very helpful if Inventor 2010 could. I work for a window manufacturer and we use aluminum extrusions that have a thermal plastic integrated into it. Currently, the only way I can model these in Inventor 2010 is as assemblies. Since it's technically not an assembly I shouldn't have to model it as one. Edited by: traxxasman on Mar 31, 2010 3:27 PM
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: traxxasman

that would be a nice addition.

I don't think AD ever comments on future enhancements, so I wouldn't expect a direct answer to your question here.

You can use teh Make Componetns toosl with your multi-body to output the solids into individual parts, then set the properties. Kind of the long way around, but I think thats all there is for now.
Message 3 of 11
mcgyvr

Probably eventually...Though no one will tell you when till it's released (or beta'd).
Can you simply make an assemly and then mark it as purchased for now? Then only the assembly part number will show up in a parts list/bom and not the individual pieces.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 11
MRanda

I also hit a brick wall with multi solid bodies, but am trying a few things as workarounds. My approach is to see if I can write a macro or add-in that adds a material based on the color of the body, and a naming/structure of the output based on a naming scheme of the bodies in the part.

If you start to get over 100 solid bodies ( I have some with over 200), the manual workarounds are a lot of work.

Mark Randa

Intel i7-6700K Liquid Cooled CPU
MSI GTX GeForce 1080 AERO 8GB OC Graphics
32 Gigs DDR 4 Ram
500 GB SSD OS Drive
4TB SSHD File Server Drive
Windows 10 Pro
Applied Design Intelligence
http://applieddesignintelligence.com/
Message 5 of 11
dan_inv09

Inseparable BOM structure?
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

> If you start to get over 100 solid bodies ( I have some with over 200)...

That sounds like very poor practice to me, but of course I am not familiar with what you're doing so I may be way off. Would't that many solidbodies create a huge house of cards?

Just curious.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

I would be concerned with export to other systems and how they would
interpret the single part file, and thus a single material property.

Ken

On 3/31/2010 10:27 AM, traxxasman wrote:
> Are there any plans in the works for multi body materials in later releases of Inventor? Or, some kind of add-on for Inventor 2010? Solidworks 2010 can do this and it would be very helpful if Inventor 2010 could. I work for a window manufacturer and we use aluminum extrusions that have a thermal plastic integrated into it. Currently, the only way I can model these in Inventor 2010 is as assemblies. Since it's technically not an assembly I shouldn't have to model it as one.
>
> Edited by: traxxasman on Mar 31, 2010 3:27 PM
>
Message 8 of 11
MRanda
in reply to: Anonymous

Actually, you are creating a new type of skeletal model without a ton of deriving. Very stable compared to assembly modeling --a true house of cards -- or even old-school skeletal modeling. At any rate, there is an iLogic code and source files on my website that will use the color specified for each solid to generate a material after the make components phase.

iLogic AutoCreate Materials

Mark Randa

The Open Design Project

Intel i7-6700K Liquid Cooled CPU
MSI GTX GeForce 1080 AERO 8GB OC Graphics
32 Gigs DDR 4 Ram
500 GB SSD OS Drive
4TB SSHD File Server Drive
Windows 10 Pro
Applied Design Intelligence
http://applieddesignintelligence.com/
Message 9 of 11
traxxasman

Multi-Material / Multi-Body parts are proving to be more and more important.  We have a product that is very weight sensitive and the parts need to be iParts with custom parameters.  If I make an iAssembly instead of a multi-body iPart I can't have custom columns in the iAssembly factory.  I also can't just create a new material for the part with the averaged density because the average density changes as both bodies are not equally machined.  So, if I machine that hole that is shown the average density will change, thus throwing off the overall weight.  Solidworks handles this very well.  Unfortunatly, we don't have solidworks at this company.  This could be the one thing that forces us to switch If Inventor doesn't get this functionality very soon.

Message 10 of 11
JDMather

@traxxasman wrote:

Solidworks handles this very well.  ... This could be the one thing that forces us to switch....

When you make the switch make sure you get training as well - you Sketch1 is way more complicated than it needs to be.  You will want to learn how to use = Relations and Colinear Relations in SWx.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 11 of 11
neil.hamilton
in reply to: JDMather

I just tried to do this-it appears it never got approved as an idea. I propose that , if possible, this method of assigning different bodies inside one part different materials.

"If wishes were horses,
we'd all be eating steak!"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report