Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motion Constraints

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
468 Views, 5 Replies

Motion Constraints

I have built a cable car thats powered by a mousetrap.  I tried to upload the assembly file but I could not attach more than 3 part files, so I will try my best to explain.  I have also attached a screen shot of my car.  Unfortunately, the mousetrap is not attached.  Hopefully it helps.

If you can see the car, I need the center drive pulley to move both pulleys.  But the mousetrap will be attached to the bottom where the wood platform is located and it will have a metal rod attached to one of the sides of the moving release arm with string tied from the tip of the rod, guided by the white pulley (does not need to move) and then wrapped around the axle of the center drive pulley.  I need that rod & release arm to move together and then I need them to move the center drive pulley and then that center drive pulley to move the two large pulleys.  I know this may be much but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is there a way to model string?  Would I just use a sweep? 

Thanks again.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Place the assembly in a folder.

Right click on the folder name and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the resulting *.zip file here.

If the zip file is too big (>1.5MB) then first open the larger files and drag the red End of Part marker in the browser to the top of the history tree hidding all features.  Save the file with the EOP in this rolled up state and then zip.

What book are you using to learn Dynamic Simulation?

Has your professor covered this topic.

Yes, string can be modeled with Sweep along path.
Attach your assembly here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you for your response.

I have yet to model the string but it will be attached to the end of the copper rod, go around the free spin pulley and wrap around the axle of the drive pulley. 

The book I'm using is "Parametric Modeling with Autodesk Inventor 2012".  Our professor covered this topic briefly, so I've been researching online on my own.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

I was able to figure out how to get all pulleys to move together.  Now I need to create my rubber bands that connect each large pulley to the drive pulley and I also need to create the string that attaches to the copper rod and the drive pulley axle.

I've tried this with the rubber bands and have attached them (see attached file).  But I could not figure out how to constrain the arc ends to the pulley wheels?  Would you be able to assist me?

Thank you.

Message 5 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

I took a look at your assembly (many part files were missing) and first thing I noticed is that Sketch1 in the Cable Car was not constrained.

Then I noticed that you had a Ø6mm hole for an M6 thread.  There will be no material for the thread.  That is not the correct tap drill size.   The Hole feature tool will include the correct tap drill size and threads. 

Very basic beginner mistakes - I would start here before moving on to stuff like motion.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

this should have been covered in your class.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Thank you.  I will review the link.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report