Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model is messed up, cannot use in inventor, cannot convert to STEP. PLEASE HELP!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
ian.j.wilkins
443 Views, 3 Replies

Model is messed up, cannot use in inventor, cannot convert to STEP. PLEASE HELP!

Hello,

I have a model of a wrench that has the dimensions as follows

x/10 unit thick flat cover on the top, botton, and head of the wrench

3x unit thick tesselation of equalateral hexagons with x/10 units of space inbetween each hexagon

I have included a STL file of the wrench model if you need mor information.

Here is the problem:

I cannot use this model in inventor, because I cannot convert it, or work with it in anyway.

I have no experience using inventor to create models, I create all my models using polygons in maya, then I use the Mesh To NURBS function in Rhino, then I use Rhino to convert the file from an STL to STEP, and finally I can use the STEP file in INventor.

For whatever reason, this file is messed up and will not let me work with it.

PLEASE HELP! I really need this model for a stess analysis in inventor. If someone out there could tech me how to fix it, or re create it in inventor, that would mean the world to me.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: ian.j.wilkins

@ian.j.wilkins wrote:

...I have no experience using inventor to create models, ... 

Rather than go through this convoluted workflow for something so simple, time to learn Inventor.

Start new sketch in Inventor, give your best attempt to sketch the profile and then attach the *.ipt file here for further instruction.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 4
ian.j.wilkins
in reply to: JDMather

Here is what I have. I sketed and extruded the shape of the wrench, but I have no I dea how to add the Hexagonal lattice that cuts through the side of the wrench. What I do know is that my wrench is 16 mm thick, meaning if I make each hexagon 5 mm wide, each plate of top 0.5 mm thick, and each of the 2 spaces between the 3 rows of hexagons .5 mm thick, I will have the correctly scaled model.

As a response to your comment. The reason I have not taken the time to learn inventor is because I am an animator. I do 3d assembly and product animations. I work with 3D animation content, and advanced webGL, for various corporate websites. I have just recently gotten into 3D printing. Unfortunatley the only CAD program I am fluent in is Maya.

So please, help me make this model correctly. Like I said, inventor is new to me, I am not fluent in it and do not have experience in it.

Message 4 of 4

Oh crap, I made a mistake. The wrench needs to be 17mm thick

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report