Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miter Sheet Metal Corner help

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
yostechav
4224 Views, 12 Replies

Miter Sheet Metal Corner help

I have tried the solutions I found here (zero) and have not been able to get past such a simple part. 

I cannot seem to get INV to miter my flange corners where they overlap..

Any help would be great.

attached is part I am working o

Thanks in advbance

D

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: yostechav

It looks like you are doing too much work, but it isn't at all clear to me what you want your final geometry to look like?
Can you use the standard tools to model the geometry so that someone can them demonstrate with the sheet metal tools.

I noticed your first sketch wasn't constrained?
Is something like attached what you are after?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

or this?

Once I know exactly what you are after I might be able to simplify it a bit more.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 4 of 13
yostechav

The two attachments you replied with are pretty much what I am trying to achieve.  The final flanges in my attachment are to be of the same length/distance and NOT overlapping as they were.  I see you made the miter cut at 45 degrees and that is what I want to do as this will be the male insert in a male/female assembly.

Message 5 of 13
JDMather

You might want to read this document http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

I could probably put the information from Sketch3 into Sketch1 and cut from-to to simplify just a bit.

EESignature

Message 6 of 13
yostechav

Haha, thanks!  THat was the last thing I read before beginning these parts and did follow the settings and steps.  I did anchor this, is that part of the problem?

I read last week about the BORN Technique but an not fully sure I comprehend it. I am to believe that setting my drawing/model to the origin point will giove me more control and etc...

So I am under the impression that when I begin my next sketch I should anchor/constrain the center of my base, or however I want the prepresentation to be set of my model to the 0, 0, 0 point of origin the connects the three axis planes.  I think that is what it means.

I haven't constrained this part to the origin, is that my problem?  I will give it a try and see how I do.

Thanks for all the pointers and help.

Message 7 of 13
JDMather

@yostechav wrote:

I haven't constrained this part to the origin, is that my problem? 

You should pick a logical location on your part to constrain to the origin.
This isn't required - but helps in editing (who does everything correct the first time with no editing).

If you have a part with symmetry - put the origin in the center of that symmetry - this keeps you from having to create extra workplanes or other geometry.  Reduce work by mirror features or other tricks (be lazy in a good way).

The BORN technique refers to using the origin workplanes (rather than part faces) for sketches as much as is practical.
(Note I say as much as practical - some companies have you go beyond practical and have nearly everything if not everything tied to the origin planes.  The reason for this is more robust parts.  Geometry built on top of geometry is more likely to fail if the underlying geometry is changed too much.  The origin workplanes can't be deleted.)

Sheet metal presents a special case exception to the general rule where some features must be created on part faces rather than workplanes (punches, cut with cut across bend, project flat pattern in sketch...).

Some people think constraining sketches is more work.  I have not seen any evidence of this.  All my evidence indicates that it is actually much faster as Inventor does most of the constraining for you once you learn how it works. All my evidence indicates the the best quality work and the fastest work comes from users who constrain everything.  (of course there are exceptions to everything - but these pros know those exceptions.

EESignature

Message 8 of 13
yostechav

JDMather,

Now that I have a better understanding of what the BORN techniques are, I realize that i commonly use them as per stated your benefits and usability during assembly, which is where those techniques make a difference for me as a noob.

Okay, I reopened the part I submitted to this thread, constrained the part to the plane origin, but I still cannot seem to get auto miter option started, it is greyed out.  Help!  It would be easier to restart i think, but I gotta know how to not have this happen again, and would like to know what I did wrong.  Maybe you explained it above?, but I didn't understand...  I still do not know how to correct this as I have constrained to a plane.  I returned to the flange that is too long (the one that makes it overlap hte oposite) and used the "To" option to edit it to to the same height/length as the opposite, but as I click "OK" I get the error saying that "flange body intersects with..."

~Warning below~

"Edit Sheet Metal Flange: problems encountered while executing this command.
     Helpmiter.ipt: Warnings occurred during update
       Feature body intersects the existing part or self-intersects.
         Flange Body intersects with the existing body or self-intersects.
           Feature Compute Warning."

Here I sit and ponder this and how to get passed it.  I have the "Miter/RipSeam Gap" located in the "Sheet Metal Rule" options of "Sheet Metal Defaulsts" set to "Thickness" (which I corrected as .0245 for the sheet I am using) but still, no auto-help, just more auto-frustration...  This piece of "sheet" is starting to piss me off, lol.

I prolly could go back and cut the corners myself, but isn't the point of the afore mentioned option to eliminate those actions in said situations?

Thanks for all your help

D

Message 9 of 13
yostechav

Still having same problem and cannot seem to get corner miter option to work.  Any suggestions?

Message 10 of 13
yostechav

Will Inventor not do the 45 degree corners that need be there automatically?

hopefully not becaust I do not know how to do that. If I cannot figure this out I will have to sketch the 45 degree corners instead of removing them because the next problem I have is figuring out how to remove portions, as to remove 50% of a square, cut frpm corner to opposite coner.  I could use some help there to ..

Thanks for taking the time,

D

Message 11 of 13
yostechav

Is there anyone who could get me past this hurdle?  I cannot move on with my project until I get these corners correct, and I have exhausted the resources I can find.

I appreciate you time,

Still at the same plae in progress, or lack of...

I am now attempting to do this simple part with the base being on the vertical plane and still cannot get my corners drawn.

THis is the last error message I have been getting:

[   Sheet Metal: Corner Creation failed.
     cornerfinal2 -8-12.ipt: Errors occurred during update
       Corner4: Could not build this Corner
         The attempted Sculpt operation did not produce a meaningful result body. Try with different inputs.
]

I have gotten past where I was last month by unfolding the base 90 before adding the flanges, but I still cannot get this done.

Attached is what I am working on.  I would like to miter the corners in a 45, as the base is bent at 90 degrees and the four inside corners will overlap otherwise and the program will not allow me to continue.  Auto miter is set to "THICKNESS" and I am not allowed to change this value.

I know this shouldn't be so difficult for such a simple part and I have truly spent way too many hours on this.  Probably days now... 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DISREGARD this resurection!

I have figured out how to get passed this:  All i needed to do was hold down the Ctrl key and creat the flanges simultaneously.

Thanks for the help all.

Message 12 of 13
dgleis

Is this what you are looking for?

Message 13 of 13
glotz_99

Hey I was having the same problem, and found a solution. If the corners on the mirrored part dont seem to be mitered together anymore, it is because it is mirroring the original component (before it was mitered). To fix this select the components, and click the mirror command, and when all the components show up in the dialog box, make sure the FRAME REFERENCE model has a yellow circle next to it (not green). this will cause the miter to be mirrrored as well as the part.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report